• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well, it's been another one of those "busy" Saturdays for me.

First, I went up to Harlan to check out the Fort Wayne Rifle & Revolver Club range. They were having a range cleaning day, so I just wanted to stop in and see what the place was all about. I wasn't really sure what they were cleaning up, because the range looked like it was in pretty damn good shape already. The firing range on the rifle range is elevated a bit, which I kind of like. Their pistol range is also pretty impressive. They have several separate pistol bays, which are all a ways a way from the rifle range. I tend to like a little separation between pistol and rifle ranges, because it's always a little difficult to work on handgun accuracy when someone's 7.62 brass is whizzing past your head. Anyways, I'm not sure if I'll join...but it seemed like a really nice place, and it is pretty close to town.

After that I headed to Gander to pick up some ammo and targets and a few other random things. While I was there I test drove a Nikon Monarch 4-16x. Them things are real nice...I think I'm going to switch my newly acquired Burris 8-32 out for one (or maybe the 5-20, though it doesn't come in MilDot).

So, after doing my shopping, I headed down to Roush to play with my new [STRIKE].308[/STRIKE] .223 (thread). I was slightly apprehensive as this is the first centerfire rifle I've ever owned, one of the few I've shot, and it's a used gun to boot (so I was hoping the barrel was good and all of that).

I started out at 50yds and breathed a sigh of relief as my first shot landed on paper about 6" off the mark. I went through a box of Remington UMC 55gr before I got kicked out by a group of boy scouts (and leaders) that wanted to use my lane. At that point I was ready to move over to a 100yd lane anyway.

At the 100yd lane, I fine tuned the scope a little more, and then settled in. I was using some cheap ass American Eagle 55gr ammo that I picked up at Gander, so I wasn't really expecting to be thrilled. My first few groups were okay...maybe 1.5" to 2" groups or so at 6 rounds a group. Then I decided to get serious and see if I could shoot some decent 3 shot groups. I cranked the scoped up all the way to 32x just for the hell of it. Resolution was okay, but not great...there was definitely some noticeable chromatic aberration at 32x. But probably the most difficult thing to deal with (though fun) was watching my heartbeat bounce the crosshairs. It really makes you realize how important breathing technique can be.

Anyway, below are probably my best groups of the day (and I definitely had plenty of groups that were much worse). I was pretty excited to be able to feel confident in my rifle. I feel like if I do my part, this rifle is up to the task. I'm also a little surprised that I could get decent groups with cheap ammo. Things would surely get better with hand loads or match ammo, but for 100yds, the cheap stuff seems okay. I'm not at all disappointed that I ended up going with a .223. I probably went through 60 rounds or so, and neither my shoulder or my wallet suffered too badly.

First group that I would consider "internet worthy":
    picture.php

Another one that I was pretty happy with. It turns out shooting groups is way easier if you only put 3 shots in a group and not six.
    picture.php

I shot some 9mm pistol too, but after 60+ rounds with the rifle, my concentration was pretty "shot", and I sucked it up pretty bad. Way too many flyers.

All in all, a really fun morning. Now I have to go mow the lawn.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Well, it's been another one of those "busy" Saturdays for me.

First, I went up to Harlan to check out the Fort Wayne Rifle & Revolver Club range. They were having a range cleaning day, so I just wanted to stop in and see what the place was all about. I wasn't really sure what they were cleaning up, because the range looked like it was in pretty damn good shape already. The firing range on the rifle range is elevated a bit, which I kind of like. Their pistol range is also pretty impressive. They have several separate pistol bays, which are all a ways a way from the rifle range. I tend to like a little separation between pistol and rifle ranges, because it's always a little difficult to work on handgun accuracy when someone's 7.62 brass is whizzing past your head. Anyways, I'm not sure if I'll join...but it seemed like a really nice place, and it is pretty close to town.

After that I headed to Gander to pick up some ammo and targets and a few other random things. While I was there I test drove a Nikon Monarch 4-16x. Them things are real nice...I think I'm going to switch my newly acquired Burris 8-32 out for one (or maybe the 5-20, though it doesn't come in MilDot).

So, after doing my shopping, I headed down to Roush to play with my new [STRIKE].308[/STRIKE] .223 (thread). I was slightly apprehensive as this is the first centerfire rifle I've ever owned, one of the few I've shot, and it's a used gun to boot (so I was hoping the barrel was good and all of that).

I started out at 50yds and breathed a sigh of relief as my first shot landed on paper about 6" off the mark. I went through a box of Remington UMC 55gr before I got kicked out by a group of boy scouts (and leaders) that wanted to use my lane. At that point I was ready to move over to a 100yd lane anyway.

At the 100yd lane, I fine tuned the scope a little more, and then settled in. I was using some cheap ass American Eagle 55gr ammo that I picked up at Gander, so I wasn't really expecting to be thrilled. My first few groups were okay...maybe 1.5" to 2" groups or so at 6 rounds a group. Then I decided to get serious and see if I could shoot some decent 3 shot groups. I cranked the scoped up all the way to 32x just for the hell of it. Resolution was okay, but not great...there was definitely some noticeable chromatic aberration at 32x. But probably the most difficult thing to deal with (though fun) was watching my heartbeat bounce the crosshairs. It really makes you realize how important breathing technique can be.

Anyway, below are probably my best groups of the day (and I definitely had plenty of groups that were much worse). I was pretty excited to be able to feel confident in my rifle. I feel like if I do my part, this rifle is up to the task. I'm also a little surprised that I could get decent groups with cheap ammo. Things would surely get better with hand loads or match ammo, but for 100yds, the cheap stuff seems okay. I'm not at all disappointed that I ended up going with a .223. I probably went through 60 rounds or so, and neither my shoulder or my wallet suffered too badly.

First group that I would consider "internet worthy":
    picture.php

Another one that I was pretty happy with. It turns out shooting groups is way easier if you only put 3 shots in a group and not six.
    picture.php

I shot some 9mm pistol too, but after 60+ rounds with the rifle, my concentration was pretty "shot", and I sucked it up pretty bad. Way too many flyers.

All in all, a really fun morning. Now I have to go mow the lawn.

If you are wanting a mil-dot scope. I picked up a Nikon Buckmaster yesterday for my Savage .223. Took it to the range today and am very pleased with it. I paid $289 for mine.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Looks like your on the verge of having one nice tack driver on your hands. Nice shooting. .223 is a real nice rifle round cheap, acurate round to shoot.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Sorry I missed you at FWRR today, I would have liked to have met you. I was probably in the pits making new targets for the high power season when you were here.

Afterwards, I was in charge of the bonfire.

Did you stay long enough for the Subway sandwiches around noon? If not, too bad. We had plenty for sure.

We are hosting a high power clinic next Saturday. All are welcome.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Congrats on the new .223, I saw you shooting today also. Nice Groups.

I offered to let some of the boy scouts shoot the Mosin but they were not allowed to. Some were big enough even...

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thanks guys. I think I'm going to hold off on the scope and do a little more research and testing (by that I mean playing with other people's stuff). This Burris is more than enough to get me buy for awhile.

sloughfoot - I didn't stick around too long...just enough to check out the range. I was pretty anxious to get on the road and get shooting. I ended up having gas station trail mix for lunch :/ I'll try to check out the highpower thing. Do you have to pre-register? Is is a competition type thing or more of a learning thing? I've not shot those guns, and I don't know if I can hit anything at 200yds with iron sights.

Ed - Which one were you? There were a couple guys with Mosins out there. It was definitely a nice day for shooting.

A couple things I forgot to mention:
    1) I had one failure to fire with the American Eagle stuff. Perfect primer strike, but no bang.
    2) That RO at Roush is one of my favorite people in the world. Always entertaining as hell...like when that guy tried to put up a target during live fire...oh my.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Ed - Which one were you? There were a couple guys with Mosins out there. It was definitely a nice day for shooting.

I was in the blue shirt, had the (2) Mosins and a .22, and some pistols but I did not shoot the pistols much.

2) That RO at Roush is one of my favorite people in the world. Always entertaining as hell...like when that guy tried to put up a target during live fire...oh my.

I saw that and thought WTH? The Ro handled it well and gave everyone a good laugh. The guy was just a noob I bet but he sure learned his lesson.

I like the RO's there...

Top Bottom