• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I bought a set of RCBS dies and shell holder for S&W40. I was wondering if there is any reason why these dies would not work in a lee turret press?

I have not reloaded in 20 years and even then I did not do much. My father in law has a few presses so I was going to use his press. I bought the dies then I noticed that it looks like maybe he sets his pistol dies up in a turret for his Lee and leaves them there. That seemed like a good plan and I picked up an extra turret for the Lee. The dies screw in fine but I just wonder if there is something I am not aware of:dunno:

I am just kind of gathering things to start reloading this winter. He pretty much has everything but he did not have the S&W40 dies so tha s why I picked those up.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Like everyone else has already said, they will work fine. If you have a 3 die set of dies and the lee turret is a 4 hole, just simply skip the last station.

You can also select a particular die and replace it another brand also. A example would be you could replace the RCBS expander die with Lee's powder thru die, allowing for the use of their pro auto disk powder measure. :) MidwayUSA sell most Lee dies by the set or by the individual die.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    All standard reloading dies are threaded in a 7/8x14 thread, meaning the barrel of the die measures 7/8" and there are 14 thread grooves per inch. This is done to standardize die fittings amongst the major manufacturers. (Much like interchangeable AR parts) The only non-standard threaded dies that I know of are the Dillon Square Deal B die sets and 50cal die sets. These are not usable on standard presses.

Hornady, Lee, RCBS, Dillon and Lyman all use the standard threading, and so dies and presses are completely interchangeable.

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    I have RCBS dies in my Lee turret press. Had to replace the RCBS lock rings as they were too large. The Lee lock rings are cheap and easy to get.

Top Bottom