• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Currently reading One Year After. 125 pages into it. Really interesting story. Some of my co-workers started down the prepper path after they read it and One Second After. Wife is planning on reading both books this Spring.

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I'm 3/4 way through One Second After. It sure doesn't leave you all that comfortable, seems way too possible. I'll have to work on the One Year After next.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I read One Second After a couple years ago. It is a great story and comes up with some angles I hadn't thought of. Such as the nursing home and the diabetic child. However, Lucifer's Hammer did touch on that a little. Read that one about 10 years ago I think.

I need to look into One Year After.....

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I've read One Second After several times, and have the audio book on USB in the truck as well. A very good read. I've also got One Year After on the Kindle but haven't gotten into it yet. I tried to get the wife to read the first one a long time ago. Didn't work out very well. She's had family that ended up in a nursing home for a while, then was taken out and brought home to be with family. She loved the book at first. I came in from doing something in the yard a long time ago and she was sitting on the couch crying with the book in her lap. She looked up and said "I just finished the the part where he gave away the Ensure." That killed it for that book, she hasn't touched it since then.

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Decent books, I also enjoyed "Alas Babylon" which Forstchen credits as a significant influence. He also wrot3 a novella recently postulating a coordinated terrorist attack on U.S. schools.

http://www.amazon.com/Wrath-Dies-Irae-William-Forstchen/dp/1625781547

Alas Babylon was required reading when I was in High School. That one and On the Beach got me thinking about prepping before it was called prepping.

Unfortunately, the concept of prepping in case of an EMP attack is not popular in the public consciousness. The reality is, we live in a world that is only four missed meals away from anarchy. It does not have to be a deliberate EMP attack by a rouge nation that takes out our power grid. Either a Coronal Mass Ejection solar storm or the eruption of the Yellowstone Caldera would play havoc on our world. Once the lights go out and do not come back on, it would be every person, clan or small community for themselves. Big government would be helpless.

Are solar storms dangerous to us? | Space | EarthSky

If This Supervolcano Erupts, Two-Thirds of America Will Be Screwed - RYOT News

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm glad I stumbled across this. I had no idea he had written a follow up to one second after. It's on my radar now.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    there's prepping for things and then tehre's hidden underground bunkers, 25k rounds of ammo and 15 years of food stashed away waiting for TEOTWAWKI. I believe that in the event of the proposed obstacles, you'd be looking at a 3-6 month period between societal break down and centralized gov't getting things back under control. As much as I want to let my pessimistic side out, in all honesty people do work together to get through things like that. There will always be the opportunistic bastards that seek anarchy, but most of society doesn't.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    So one second after was great. I read it in a day and my wife read it in a week. I never heard of one year after. That is the sequel. I just ordered Lights out, which was recommended to me on this sight regarding same topic. Have to finish another book first then I plan on plowing through that one. When ever my wife says why are we doing this in regards to prepping I tell her remember that book one second after. Do you need to read it again.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Actually got my wife to read One Second After once I finished it. I am not saying the "light bulb went on" but at least she doesn't hit the "off switch" and now seems to tolerate my prepping.

Decent books, I also enjoyed "Alas Babylon" which Forstchen credits as a significant influence. He also wrot3 a novella recently postulating a coordinated terrorist attack on U.S. schools.

http://www.amazon.com/Wrath-Dies-Irae-William-Forstchen/dp/1625781547

Day of Wrath is scary, especially after watching recent news events. Makes me glad I no longer have children in school.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Day of Wrath is scary, especially after watching recent news events. Makes me glad I no longer have children in school.

Day of Wrath is an incredibly awful scenario and very hard to read... but everyone on this thread should read it. I have a copy if anyone wants to borrow it (PM me). It's a very short story.

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    So one second after was great. I read it in a day and my wife read it in a week. I never heard of one year after. That is the sequel. I just ordered Lights out, which was recommended to me on this sight regarding same topic. Have to finish another book first then I plan on plowing through that one. When ever my wife says why are we doing this in regards to prepping I tell her remember that book one second after. Do you need to read it again.

To answer your question, no, you do not need to read One Second After again, prior to reading One Year After.

Finished the book yesterday. Certainly went down a couple of trails that I never thought of. I highly recommend both books be read by one's entire family. Next on the list for me to read is Lights Out.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Finished One Year After on the way to FL audio book, and and also listened to The Libarators by Rawles. That book was horrible. It was basically hours and hours of meaningless detail of every piece of gear and irrelevant piece of equipment in the book.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Finished One Year After on the way to FL audio book, and and also listened to The Libarators by Rawles. That book was horrible. It was basically hours and hours of meaningless detail of every piece of gear and irrelevant piece of equipment in the book.

The Rawles books are like that. I enjoyed the story but he sure made it tedious to get through. I think he was going for a reference book along with the entertainment side of it. I liked the first couple books the best and how it told the same story from the different characters experiences and point of view.

I haven't gotten into the audio version of One Year After yet. I heard the sample from Amazon. How was Bronson Pinchot's reading of it?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

The Rawles books have devolved into gear lists and sunday school lessons. I will give "One Year After" a read. It's predecessor was eye opening.

Top Bottom