Really thinking about buying a Deuce and a half...tell me what you know.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Hey guys. I posted this over on arfcom the other day but I would like to hear what my Indiana boys have to say about it.

I have been seriously looking into buying a deuce and a half as a toy/ SHTF ride. The problem is, I don know as much as I would like to know about them. I have built several street cars (see my GTO thread in the break room) but know next to nothing about diesel performance, and even less about military vehicles. Being a Drill Sgt, I do know how to run them and drive them..even drive them to their limits lol. The problem is, when we break one we take it to the motor pool and in a couple days we get it back fixed.

If I buy one, It will be from a private seller, and will be bobbed (shortened and 4wd) to make it more practical for me. Does anyone here have one or have a working knowledge of them? Any help will be appreciated.

Here is a picture to get us going.
    22322659-549-1971-25-ton-deuce-and-a-half-bobbed-on.jpg

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    For SHTF usage, make sure that you get one that has the multi-fuel turbo charged engine. It will almost literally run on any liquid that burns.
    On the older models that run air over hydraulic brakes the power assist will occasionally go out. Other than that it is usually starters, which you can pick up anywhere truck parts are sold.
    What do you want to know?

ETA: My MOS was 63S/63B from 1985-1994, I'm the guy that fixed it when you broke it.

Last edited:

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    I've had them places a HUMVEE wouldn't go- I would try to find an old "multi-fuel" model. I don't know how, but those were supposed to run on just about anything- Diesel/Gas/JP5 etc. If I remember correctly, you can tell them from a regular one by where the air cleaner is located? I'm sure somebody one here knows more about those than I do.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    For SHTF usage, make sure that you get one that has the multi-fuel turbo charged engine. It will almost literally run on any liquid that burns.
    On the older models that run air over hydraulic brakes the power assist will occasionally go out. Other than that it is usually starters, which you can pick up anywhere truck parts are sold.
    What do you want to know?

ETA: My MOS was 63S/63B from 1985-1994, I'm the guy that fixed it when you broke it.

Really I am just looking for someone that can give one a once over for me before I buy and can go over the entire truck to show me what things are an what they do.

As far as where to get one, the government liquidates them often but I am looking for one from a private seller. I am pretty set on a turbo + multi-fuel version.

Last edited:

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I like the idea of major 4wd capability, great ground clearance, relatively simple construction, and looks cool as ****. People are reporting 10-12 mpg depending on city or highway driving. **** my Silverado SS gets 13-14 mpg so thats not bad.

Top Bottom