Reasonable and reliable quick release scope mount?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Is there such a critter? I've got a nice Nikon 4.5 14x scope on my 18" AR. If I get into three gun, I'd like a red dot optic on it. Right now, the scope is on a riser with high rings. Is there anything out there that won't break the bank and will still allow the swapping back and forth of a red dot/scope? I use it as a semi-auto 'precision' rifle now and a possible coyote gun. Shooting under and inch, so I"d like to keep the scope on it most of the time, but think it'd make agood three gun rifle if the chance to compete comes around.

Thanks,
    Doug k

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Depends on what you consider "reasonable".

If you a mount that will remount and return to your zero, spend the money on the LaRue.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I don't have black rifles but have several Warne QD mounts. I can remove and replace without a hitch and they remain on POI every time.

I would highly recommend the warne but there is a little bar in them that can get lost if not careful. I had to order one after loosing it. That was my error not the mounts. If you unscrew the mount all the way they can fall out. I bought one and they sent me two one for free and one on my dime in case i do it again.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've had a pair of these
    SWFA Warne Mounts Warne Maxima Rings Warne Maxima Quick Detach 1" Rings

in a ruger rifle for about 15 years (they were probably not called maxima back then) but it is on a bolt gun that is somewhat accurate, and I have switched scopes from long range to short range scopes several times and they have been working great. They are Ruger mounting system not weaver but I can't see how a lot of things would change between the 2 systems as long as the weaver/pic rail had some precision built into it

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Thanks for the advice, guys. Thanks Dave for the links page. that is some great reference. I guess next range trip, I'll try unbolting my riser and putting it back on a couple of times to see how that affects POI. It's a YHM rail, but does the same basic thing as some of the mounts in Dave's post.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    +1 for the LaRue

I was looking for a mount for my AR and have to say.....if you want repeat return to zero buy the LaRue. Its worth every penny.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    the only one i have experiance with is larue. they hold zero as perfectly as i can hold crosshairs. @ 300 yds i notices a 1/4 inch shift im my group. easily within parameters of shooter error

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    LaRue. The cost is worth it-- especially if you're going to be switching optics on a semi-regular basis.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Depends on what you consider "reasonable".

If you a mount that will remount and return to your zero, spend the money on the LaRue.

larue with out a doubt. and check out slow's link above a lot of good info in there

I was looking for a mount for my AR and have to say.....if you want repeat return to zero buy the LaRue. Its worth every penny.

The Larue is the best mount I have seen to get you back to appropriate zero. I've seen other quick releases but the zero isn't necessarily maintained.

the only one i have experiance with is larue. they hold zero as perfectly as i can hold crosshairs. @ 300 yds i notices a 1/4 inch shift im my group. easily within parameters of shooter error

LaRue. The cost is worth it-- especially if you're going to be switching optics on a semi-regular basis.

LaRue Tactical

I'm beginning to notice a trend here. I've been spending a lot of time researching AR parts, (including optic/scope mounts) and I don't know that I've found a better company with such a well-deserved loyal following. They do outstanding work, I'll be placing a hefty order with them after I get my hands on my ST-15.

Top Bottom