• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    We moved out into the country and now have about 2 acres of yard to maintain. Last year I purchased a riding lawnmower with the ability to pull a variety of attachements. I bought a rotary fertilizer spreader, and am now looking at a sprayer.

Tractor Supply seems to have some decent models in the $200-$250 range that are between 15 and 25 gallons capacity. At first I thought that would be perfect for a 2 acre yard, but as I started looking at dillution rates for 2-4D and other common yard chemicals, I realized that I'd have to fill that puppy up several times over to do the entire yard.

Anyone else have good experience with a certain capacity "pull behind" style sprayer?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Dude what you need is the advise of an Agronomist. :laugh:

The 25 gallon model will work fine for you. The hard part won't be the dilution as much as driving straight and not overlapping the chemical when you spray. Best way to do this is to figure out an application rate per acre by using your speed and output from the sprayer. For example 25 gallon per acre of carrier (water). So your 25 gallon sprayer can be mixed to treat 1 acre.

Lot of choices out there and like everything we buy you get what you pay for. Ever thought of building your own?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    The only experience I have is with a John Deere. It was alright but felt cheap. IF I ever live in the country again I will build one to pull behind the mower or put on an ATV.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Dude what you need is the advise of an Agronomist. :laugh:

The 25 gallon model will work fine for you. The hard part won't be the dilution as much as driving straight and not overlapping the chemical when you spray. Best way to do this is to figure out an application rate per acre by using your speed and output from the sprayer. For example 25 gallon per acre of carrier (water). So your 25 gallon sprayer can be mixed to treat 1 acre.

I was hoping you'd chime in!!! I almost called you today when I was looking at them at TSC. Seems like the 25 is a no brainer.

CountyLine® Deluxe Trailer Sprayer with Boom, 25 gal. - 2130356 | Tractor Supply Company

80" swath would actually work pretty good. I can drive about 1 wheel base width apart, much like I do with my spreader, although that needs a bit of fine tuning too I think based on the stripes I had last year with the 20-0-20!

I think the 12-12-12 went down more evenly this time.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I was hoping you'd chime in!!! I almost called you today when I was looking at them at TSC. Seems like the 25 is a no brainer.

CountyLine® Deluxe Trailer Sprayer with Boom, 25 gal. - 2130356 | Tractor Supply Company

80" swath would actually work pretty good. I can drive about 1 wheel base width apart, much like I do with my spreader, although that needs a bit of fine tuning too I think based on the stripes I had last year with the 20-0-20!

I think the 12-12-12 went down more evenly this time.

Well I suppose I could just have one of the boys swing in there and give your yard a squirt. But most of our booms are 1440" wide. But I could have them follow your wheel tracks if you want.

I am not big on the two nozzles that shoot out to the side for the wide patterns. Bad things happen to mama's flowers and shrubs. I know you are not opposed to slightly modifying things, so should not be a problem to come up with something. Main thing will be finding a sturdy trailer, tank and make sure the pump is large enough. Also being able to recirculate the tank would be nice for mixing the chemicals.

Oh, and take my advice with a grain of salt. Have you seen my lawn lately? I all but had the clover killed two years ago, but dinged my tree badly. Now I have the tree nursed back to health but the clover is back. Mrs. VERT told me to leave it alone because it is soft and she likes to walk around barefoot.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Well I suppose I could just have one of the boys swing in there and give your yard a squirt. But most of our booms are 1440" wide. But I could have them follow your wheel tracks if you want.

I am not big on the two nozzles that shoot out to the side for the wide patterns. Bad things happen to mama's flowers and shrubs. I know you are not opposed to slightly modifying things, so should not be a problem to come up with something. Main thing will be finding a sturdy trailer, tank and make sure the pump is large enough. Also being able to recirculate the tank would be nice for mixing the chemicals.

Oh, and take my advice with a grain of salt. Have you seen my lawn lately? I all but had the clover killed two years ago, but dinged my tree badly. Now I have the tree nursed back to health but the clover is back. Mrs. VERT told me to leave it alone because it is soft and she likes to walk around barefoot.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of...killing what I don't want to kill. The other option is to make one I suppose. The 15" gallon version seems to have better nozzles.

Fimco 15 Gallon Trailer Sprayer - 2137633 | Tractor Supply Company

I saw a couple of the "three wheelers" drive by the other day...I'll just flag them down on the way out to Jerry's place next time and have them hit the front yard real quick. A couple swaths and I should be GTG. :rockwoot:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The problem with the FIMCO stuff is finding replacement parts. I used to sell sprayer parts and got a lot questions from homeowners who bought a sprayer at tractor supply. The tank and trailer should be fine, but the pumps are pretty much disposable. But honestly no more then you will use it the pump should last for years. If given the choice I would look for a SureFlo brand pump. If it were my sprayer I would replace the FIMCO nozzles with some quality TeeJet parts. That way we can use a couple low drift nozzles.

:D The "three wheelers" are fertilizer spreaders. So not quite the effect you are looking for. They do have Cummins engines in them though. But if they are heading out to Jerry's and you can catch them, just have them flip the switch and charge it to the farm.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA

This is the one I have for my huge 1 acre, but I've sprayed a friends 5 acre yard rather easily.

Be advised, these aren't as rough and tough as the sprayers your local rental place may have, so care must be taken when using. You need to pay attention to the plastic fittings which can come loose, and in general, unless you want to have down time waiting for parts, baby it. I go over with a fine tooth comb before and after using, and I look at the sprayer heads continuously. I'm on my 4th year with it, without any problems, due to my diligence in maintenance.

heatman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Sheridan
    I have the 25 sprayer from TSC for my 1 acre lawn and it works great. Probably 5 years old and no problems. TSC does carry the pumps, etc. if you would ever need them.

You can dial up the pumps for a little higher volume. I use a dilution rate so that 25 gallon covers the whole yard.

FYI, if you want a really good looking lawn spray with a trimec product instead of just 2-4d. Here's a small section of my lawn.
    lawn006.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom