recommendations for someone installing a gas line?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    I just know about the plastic pipe because that's what I do for a living. I don't do after the meter work. Just everything underground except welding.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    When I was having my house built, I asked the guys setting the gas meter about running a line about 20 feet to a garage for a heater there. One guy told me about having to do it with a certain kind of plastic pipe and a certain kind of union, and said he could do it for $300 if I dug the trench. When that guy went to the truck, the other, older guy said if it was him, he'd get some black iron threaded pipe and use that. He even gave me a couple of rolls of some kind of tape that I used to wrap around the iron pipe to keep it from rusting. Can't remember what it cost me, but not very much, and it's been fine for 16 years now.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    1st...Chapmans leads the pack in rip and tear on the customers nickel.

2nd...Is that a total cost as in materials/labor.

3rd...This could be a journeyman/helper job. Labor will be times one and a half.

4th...Is the house brick???....Possibly hard to penetrate the wall.

5th...Is the fire place already set. Will there be issues getting into it.

6th...When you say the main, existing meter or from the main line in the street.

With out seeing it we will all be throwing opinions in the wind. $1500 may not be all that bad if it is a tough job. You say 3 hours labor. Is that stated on the bid???

That cost (1500$) was labor alone.
    The house is brick. The fireplace is set. When i say main, i mean the main line already inside the home.
    The quote(if i know my dad) was black iron.
    The line that needs ran, will pass through a wall in the garage and it will then be under the house, it then needs to go straight to the fireplace(about 50ish feet) and go up. A hole needs drilled in the bottom of the fireplace for the line to come up through.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    What you call a few hours of work.....where are you getting that info.

Gas pipe has to be secured to the house or on pedestals. This has to be done properly. Setting up/shutting down the service/ tapping in/adding Iso valve so service can be restored and work continued/measuring, cutting, threading the pipe/making a proper penetration/doing the inside work/properly sealing the penetration/testing the line/cleaning up and getting all the tools back into the rig. I have never run that much pipe in a few hours and I am a fitter.
    Remember, this work requires a lot of special tools and they are not free.

They might be ripping you as it is Chapmans but with out seeing it, hard to say.

You could be right. It could take more than a few hours, i could be wrong. But 1500 bucks still sounds awful high to me. The guy that came out said an easy job. To me, thats a few hours?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That cost (1500$) was labor alone.
    The house is brick. The fireplace is set. When i say main, i mean the main line already inside the home.
    The quote(if i know my dad) was black iron.
    The line that needs ran, will pass through a wall in the garage and it will then be under the house, it then needs to go straight to the fireplace(about 50ish feet) and go up. A hole needs drilled in the bottom of the fireplace for the line to come up through.

Thanks. Explains a lot.
    Yes...(2) man job.
    Running line under the house is doable but definitely not an easy task.
    Line can be supported to the floor joist so that is OK
    Working on your belly and back in a crawl is no picnic.
    That work will most likely be an all day affair. It might seem easy enough but when it is done you will see it is a task especially under the house.

$1500 is excessive.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You could be right. It could take more than a few hours, i could be wrong. But 1500 bucks still sounds awful high to me. The guy that came out said an easy job. To me, thats a few hours?

I see your point.
    Easy to 2 young men with the right tools but it would take a full day to do.

$1500 is high. Salesman was looking for his piece. It is how they work.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks for the comments and tips everyone. I felt like 1500 bucks was too much, but now im sure of it. Gotta love ingo, always good advice!

If I was younger we would be happy to do this for you but I just am not inclined to hang out in a crawl all day anymore.
    You should have no problem finding someone willing to do this for less $$$$

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    If I was younger we would be happy to do this for you but I just am not inclined to hang out in a crawl all day anymore.
    You should have no problem finding someone willing to do this for less $$$$

I hate crawl spaces.. I dont have enough bullets to manage all the spiders that hang out down there.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Yup. There are things down there that have never seen a human.....we are dinner.....:):

My daughter was doing some painting a few years back, and she accidentally dropped her cell phone into the duct, since the covers were off for painting. The phone slid down out of reach and someone had to go under the house to get it. I was at work and her mom wasn't about to go under there.

I called her and told her what she'd have to do and she put on her big sweats with the hoodie pulled over her head with just a hole big enough for her eyes, and a pair of gloves (it was the middle of summer). I was proud of her, she had to go all the way to the back of the crawl, take apart the duct, get out the phone, then put it back together. Of course I don't know if there would be anything else that would have motivated her like the loss of her cell phone.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My daughter was doing some painting a few years back, and she accidentally dropped her cell phone into the duct, since the covers were off for painting. The phone slid down out of reach and someone had to go under the house to get it. I was at work and her mom wasn't about to go under there.

I called her and told her what she'd have to do and she put on her big sweats with the hoodie pulled over her head with just a hole big enough for her eyes, and a pair of gloves (it was the middle of summer). I was proud of her, she had to go all the way to the back of the crawl, take apart the duct, get out the phone, then put it back together. Of course I don't know if there would be anything else that would have motivated her like the loss of her cell phone.

Nothing...zero...Na-Da

People have jumped off bridges after their cell phones.

Top Bottom