• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    55fairlane - Excellent job for sure! What degree crown did you decide to use? What will the polishing process be?

Andy Cree

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Results on target are the only meaningful feedback. The barrel is probably crap no matter what you have done. That is my experience. I hope it works out for you. I really do. But I have more than a few take off barrels that I gave up on..

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    This barrel is a factory remington from a 510 single shot .22LR, so I'm expecting it to shoot like a Anschutz, but the first 1/2 inch or so was rusty crusty,so I thought I would recrown it and see how it shoots.
    If it doesn't produce good groups,it's no loss as it is a pinker rifle /loaner rifles teach the kids to shoot gun.......plus it was a learner barrel
    I used 300 / 600 / 1000 grit emery paper backed up with a piece of stiff rubber , then I used some clover carbide / grease lapping compound on a cast iron taper to "break the edge"

1911......this gun will get drilled n tapped for scope bases,so no need to recur the dove tail, but I will remember that for future work

Stay tooned......more to come

Aaron

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Results on target are the only meaningful feedback. The barrel is probably crap no matter what you have done. That is my experience. I hope it works out for you. I really do. But I have more than a few take off barrels that I gave up on..

You are right,barrel probably is not worth saving,but I have the whole gun,I needed a test gun, so my choices were, trash this rusty gun,or do the machine work,and the hand work,and do see if this rifle is save able

I will post targets......but as stated,this is a plinker,not a Anschutz 3P gun

Aaron

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    55fairlane, I am with you in saving an old rifle. It may not be a tack-driver, but some of my most favorite guns are the old, worn out guns I have received from grandparents and others. Turning them into something useful again is awesome. I think the same way about tools. Some of my favorite tools are the old, we'll used stuff that has someone initails or name scratched into them.

Andy Cree

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You are right,barrel probably is not worth saving,but I have the whole gun,I needed a test gun, so my choices were, trash this rusty gun,or do the machine work,and the hand work,and do see if this rifle is save able

I will post targets......but as stated,this is a plinker,not a Anschutz 3P gun

Aaron

Ya never know, but no matter what, I hope you don't trash the whole rifle. I look forward to a successful reincarnation of your rifle. I really do care. Deeply.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    The rifle was not nice to start with,lots of rust pitting on the barrel m and action.....it was ready for the scrap heap,so let's see if we can save it

Aaron

Top Bottom