• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outdoorguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2010
    I just purchased my first Red Dot, an Aimpoint M4s. My question is that the dot does not appear round all the time. Sometimes it looks like a red arc circling a globe? What am I doing wrong?

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    Are you bumping it to night vision? It should just be a dot in the middle. Are you behind it. Some dot's I've found may give a bit of a ring when off set form the sight. Also I've seen a few on the brighter setting do that.

outdoorguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2010
    Poor instructions, they state 7 NVD, 8 daylight and 1 extra bright. I currently have it at position 8 from 12 o'clock which is off. The instructions don't say but I'm assuming this is the first daylight position. On postion 8, the dot is very small. When I bring the gun up the dot appears round, but as I stare at it, it becomes an arc. I'm keeping both eyes open as I tend to do, but tried it with my left eye closed with no difference.

outdoorguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2010
    MidwayUSA. There was no registration card, I did it online on Aimpoint's sight. Came in a plane white box with a cheap photocopied picture/logo on front. For the money and reputation of the M4s, I'm I wrong to expect a crisp round dot? Again, I have no experience with these devices until now.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Do you have an astigmatism? People who do (like me) often don't see a perfectly round dot, but rather a little starburst.

Or, it could be that you've got it turned up too bright, which can cause a round "halo" to appear. You should turn it up just bright enough that you can see it, but not so much that its really really bright. Go as dim as you can.

Your NV settings won't be visible to your naked eye. These are the settings when you click the selector, but you don't see anything.

Or, there is always the possibility that you got a fake. If you bought from Midway I'd really doubt it, though.

Can you post some pictures of the optic and the packing material?

outdoorguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2010
    I have bifocals. I have tried various mounting positions with and without my glasses. Guess I will take it to work and have younger eyes look through it. Clone, you probably have a good point, although I hope your wrong, this thing will not be useable they way it is.

outdoorguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2010
    Esrice, along with my bifocals, I have a slight astigmatism. I could describe what I see as a starburst. I do have it at the first position where I can just see the dot. I'm in artifical light right now, daylight could make a big difference. It does with iron sights.

outdoorguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2010
    Mystery solved?

I think it must be EMI. I haven't found the culprit, but something in my toy room is the root cause. I can take the Aimpoint out of this one particular room and it works fine. Anyone else experience this?

f'nstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    when i have mine set to bright it gets a little distorted, also it will look differn't outsidethe house than inside the house

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think it must be EMI. I haven't found the culprit, but something in my toy room is the root cause. I can take the Aimpoint out of this one particular room and it works fine. Anyone else experience this?

THAT would be interesting... Try shielding the optic with something to see how it goes?

What's that particular room illuminated with?

-J-

outdoorguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2010
    The room is lit with CFLs, but the red dot is distorted with the lights out. I have tried shutting everything off in the room; Mac, stereo, guitar amps, TV, DVR, recording equipment but no go. I'll have to try taking the amps out of the room sometime, they are tube amps, could be the big caps are bugging the Aimpoint.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    The room is lit with CFLs, but the red dot is distorted with the lights out. I have tried shutting everything off in the room; Mac, stereo, guitar amps, TV, DVR, recording equipment but no go. I'll have to try taking the amps out of the room sometime, they are tube amps, could be the big caps are bugging the Aimpoint.

Unplugging the tube amps while playing will drain the caps... but I'd lean more towards the transformers causing an issue than the caps.

I waved my EoTech around my laptop, 5w tube amp, 750w SS amp, 8ch mixer, processing rack, ceiling fan, speakers, and halogen desk lamp. All were turned on, and none had any effect that I could see. Did the same thing with a P.A. micro RDS; didn't effect that either. I have a tape degausser, but I'm not ballsy enough to try that on either sight! :)

Top Bottom