• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    For about two years now I have been doing battle with my local coyote population. Recently with the advent of 6pm sunsets I find myself needing light to aquire targets effectively. Using regular or LED lights spook the wiley animals, so are a no go. I have been told that coyotes can't see red light. Red covers are available for various spotlights and flashlights. I was wondering if anyone has had success with these covers or if I need to purchase an expensive varmint light rig? Also what calls do you have the most success with? Thanks

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    For about two years now I have been doing battle with my local coyote population. Recently with the advent of 6pm sunsets I find myself needing light to aquire targets effectively. Using regular or LED lights spook the wiley animals, so are a no go. I have been told that coyotes can't see red light. Red covers are available for various spotlights and flashlights. I was wondering if anyone has had success with these covers or if I need to purchase an expensive varmint light rig? Also what calls do you have the most success with? Thanks

I've used a Wheat lite for years and years but they harder to find these days, I can' t find the place I ususally buy my supplies from but I found this

Hunting Lights - Nite Lite

I like the light on a long cord, it alows you to move just the head of the light and not the whole battery, What we do is adjust the light down (with the red lense on) to the point that you can just barely see the light beam on the ground about 30 feet in front of you, then for about 100 yds eyes will shine and we hunt in pairs and you have to have some time in with the other guy, we always hunted with a rifle and a shotgun if we were in fields and both of us shotguns if we were in rough stuff, but once one is spotted the shooter basically turns his light off and you watch the animal and when it gets to the point that it figures things out turn the light up and shoot. This takes a lot of hunting to get 2 guys to do this smoothly.

If I think of the other place that I always bought from I'll post

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    I absolutely agree with what you have found in regaurds to finding a decent hunting partner for coyote. It is very hard to both work the light and stay on target by myself. Everyone I let come wants to talk while calling, or use to much light, gets too excited at the opportunity and takes poor shots. I have realized that to be effective I could use a good partner, but a bad partner makes it harder than being alone.

Top Bottom