• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    Thinking about a trip there the end of March, anybody been there and would you go back. Mostly going for Crappie and Bluegill. Are there other lakes in the area that you think would be better for the above type of fishing? Also if you have been there where did you stay, we are looking at Cypress Pointe lodge.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Was there a number of years ago. Shallow water, waist deep, stumps everywhere to hang a boat on, snakes everywhere you look and the fishing sucked, didn't catch anything in three days. Myself, would not go back for nothing. Go to dale hollow instead.

houndman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    love it there we went in early april not many snakes out then.we caught all the big bluegill you would want.We stayed at the campground in our camper we would go out early in the mornings all the way across the lake from the campground and drift maribou road runners close to the bank and catch big crappie for about an hour and they would quit.good luck i would deffinently go back

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    You're going at the right time of year. It's a great lake for panfish, we've never tried another lake in the area. There's plenty of water to fish there.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have been there every year for the past three or four years. We always stay at cypress point lodge. Some years we have done better than other years, but I love staying at cypress point.

Fishing: Don't know about spring, we go in late summer when things are very different. I hear the spring panfish are awesome.

Food: I do not much care for the restaurant across the road from cypress point. I do like the mexican place in tiptonville and Boyetttes bbq.

Wildlife: We have not ever had a problem with snakes and we mess around the trees quite a bit. Last year we did have a tremendous number of those asian jumping carp jumping around us and bouncing off our boats. One jumped into my brother's boat and he dispatched it. It was about 24 lbs.

All in all, I say go for it, if the water is not low, its a great place to fish. If the water is low, its a rocky road to say the least. In the spring the water should be fine.

If you go to Cypress point, you're in good hands. Really nice boat facilities and nice folks.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Been there several times. As others have said, it is shallow and full of stumps. I don't recommend taking a deep v-hull boat or really anything nice. You WILL hit stumps. Chock full of cotton mouths and various other snakes. But....

It's also chock full of nice bluegill. The 3/4 pounder in the photo below came from there.

6FTPzV0x

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Fished there about 10 years ago. Heard all about the snakes but never saw one. The shallow water makes it easier to find the fish than on a deep lake like Dale Hollow. We caught dozens of crappie between 13"-17" and would definately go back if I could find the time.

ApacheTactical

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    Hamilton County Indiana
    Forgot to say that Cypress Pointe is a good place to stay.
    Been there twice and with a group of six guys each time. It was a blast and caught a ton of crappie and bluegills. We are talking of going back.
    Stayed at Cypress Pointe and Blue Bank. Stay at Cypress Point Blue Bank housing was not all that good. Cypress was a very family place and gave us a welcomed stay all 3 days.

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    Was there a number of years ago. Shallow water, waist deep, stumps everywhere to hang a boat on, snakes everywhere you look and the fishing sucked, didn't catch anything in three days. Myself, would not go back for nothing. Go to dale hollow instead.

I had the exact same experience except maybe there were more snakes. Did I mention I hate snakes. What ever you do don't go under the trees or you will have an unwanted hichhiker. Best crappie lakes I have been on are waveland (been a long time since I was there) and Mill Creek. Both very close. My wife is from the Dale Hollow aera but have not fished it much. Unless you caught the tail waters.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I haven't fished Reelfoot so I can't help ya there. I know the crappie and panfish can be awesome at Kentucky lake/Barkley in the Spring. I've fished Ky lake a few times in April and had good success.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    I have fished Reelfoot, you cannot Crappie fish it with Indiana strategies. March they may be in pre spawn, you can probably forget the stumps and shallows. Drift fish the "Big Blue Basin" with multiple lines at different depths, find fish at a certain depth and "BAM" you have a pattern to work!

sig shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Spencer, Indian
    I'm going to be there March 5 th- 9th I have been going there for 40 yaers most years 3 or more times a year. I on fish on the north end of the lake. Most of the snakes that people see are the water snakes. I fish right up in the cypress tress and have never had a bad encounter with a Cottonmouth. They are very protective of their area. If you see one just move slowly away from their area. I have a friend there that has owned a resort for many years. I spoke to him 2 day's ago and they have been catching crappie all winter. He informed me that the crappie are full of eggs and have blood streaks in them now. They are running about 2 to 3 weeks ahead right now. I will send you a PM with my name and number feel free to call me and we can talk.

Top Bottom