• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a stock that I would like to refinish. There are some dings on the tang of the stock. They where there from the factory. I would also like to stain the stock, I prefer dark wood. Anyone have any good links and such?

Thanks,
    Patriot

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    screwdriver and a wet rag for the dings. Heat up the screwdriver w/ a torch and press it onto the wet rag, should raise the dings. Whatever does not raise should be able to be sanded out.

Check out birchwood casey refinishing kits, they come w/ sealer, stain, and true oil, which is about everything you need.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    How old is the gun?

Older guns had an oil finish, modern guns tend to have a spray on poly finish. If you are going to stain it you must make sure you are back down to the bare wood. Especially if there is checkering. Most stains are sprayed on now and this helps get a more even color. Wipe on stains work but be prepared for some variation in color as the wood tends to have areas that don't take stain evenly ubnless you have a really nice walnut stock, these tend to do better.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I have worked on a couple military gun stocks and one old .22 rifle. I used the CMP forum for pointers and advice. Go to www.odcmp/sales.htm and then go to the forum page. I have tried to get the link up but it may not work. There were quite a few good threads there that explained things and some with pictures.
    One heads up on wood types - Walnut will take an oil based stain but the Birch wood will not, you will need to use an alcohol base and dye for best results.
    I have used Tru-Oil on on 2 stocks, one being walnut and the other a lighter less desirable wood. Both turned out good in my amateur opinion. On the military style I used Linseed oil and then a paste mix to finish it out called Tom's 1/3 mix. I liked it.

Top Bottom