Reflections on my first month or so of carrying...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    So I've been EDC'ing for about a month now, after my ~15 week wait for my LTCH.

It's odd, despite carrying a loaded gun, with a round chambered, with no manual safety, every day, all day long... I've had no accidental discharges, no kids shooting themselves with my gun, and my gun has not gone on any killing sprees that I'm aware of.

Could it be that guns are really just inanimate objects, mere tools, and it is certain people that are evil?

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    Probably, problem is that the Anti 2-A'rs don't let a little thing like logic or facts get in the way of their emotionally driven argument/position.

I know, even a simple, 100% logic statement such as "Why would a law matter to a criminal?" just falls flat when people say "ZOMG GUNS ARE WEAPONS! MEANT ONLY TO KILL!"

/sigh.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, heh.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I have several knives (carving, butchering, pearing, steak) that are in a butcher block in my kitchen. I've been worrying about them forming a gang called The North Side Slashers. Should I keep them seperated so they don't go around stabbing and cutting people?

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    I have several knives (carving, butchering, pearing, steak) that are in a butcher block in my kitchen. I've been worrying about them forming a gang called The North Side Slashers. Should I keep them seperated so they don't go around stabbing and cutting people?

Yeah. You gotta keep 'em separated. :D

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Since we all agree with your main point, I have another question for you:

Do you notice a difference in mentality since you started carrying? (i.e. do you find yourself constantly analyzing situations differently?) Did you feel weird carrying in public for the first couple of times?

I am not implying ANYTHING about you specifically, this is something I ask everyone that starts carrying.

I know the first time I carried a loaded gun in public, I was sort of freaked out, even though it was concealed. Then the first time I OC'd (which was much later) I freaked out again.

Just curious!

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    Since we all agree with your main point, I have another question for you:

Do you notice a difference in mentality since you started carrying? (i.e. do you find yourself constantly analyzing situations differently?) Did you feel weird carrying in public for the first couple of times?

I am not implying ANYTHING about you specifically, this is something I ask everyone that starts carrying.

I know the first time I carried a loaded gun in public, I was sort of freaked out, even though it was concealed. Then the first time I OC'd (which was much later) I freaked out again.

Just curious!

Yes, it was weird. Absolutely. I did not have a proper concealment rig, and didn't really WANT to, as I wanted to get used to, and get others used to, the fact that open carrying is legal, and should be considered "normal."

I carried with a longish t-shirt. It covers the gun and holster, but if anyone thinks about it, they know I'm carrying a gun. I do also carry my handheld ham radio, so I do have that "cover." People probably assume I'm an off-duty or plainclothes officer.

But yeah, I was always mentally preparing my speech for when I'd get challenged about the gun. I still never have been.

And yes, I definitely evaluate everything differently. "Under what circumstances will I present the weapon?" "What then?" "What are my cover options?" "Escape?"

IMO, you'd be an idiot if you didn't change a lot of your mental processes when you start carrying a loaded weapon.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I know I was pretty nervous the first few weeks a carried. That has worn off completely now. I am still more alert to my surroundings (I hope!), and am certainly more aware of the people near me.

I've always been a polite person, but OC has made me more aware of it. It is a weird combination of "I don't care what they think" and "I need to set a good example".

The liberating part of OC was no longer caring if someone saw it. It was like learning to smile with braces, all over again!

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    When my wife got her first handgun a few months back, I told her it would be weird at first. She compared it to what she learned at the ABATE motorcycle class when she got her motorcycle license. They teach you to always "scan 12 seconds ahead and have an escape plan." She says thats how she thinks now while carrying. She's more observant of what's going on around her and thinking about situations that could arise.

I also think it's good to be as nice and polite as possible too because people DO need a positive image of someone carrying a handgun in public. Maybe one day public perception will change. :dunno:

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    I also think it's good to be as nice and polite as possible too because people DO need a positive image of someone carrying a handgun in public. Maybe one day public perception will change. :dunno:

I agree.

I had not previously been a very polite or friendly or "personable" person. Came from years of isolation being > 400 pounds in weight. So, lots of life changes, including becoming an Armed Citizen, have transformed me into a much more polite and personable man. :)

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    We are kind of the opposite. We are the people that some would call "too bubbly and happy." So it may seem weird to people to see us with guns; :dunno:

I myself am kind of a paradox of personality. I am super nice and extroverted, but if somebody offends me or makes me mad, I unleash holy hell (verbally).

Hope you are enjoying the transformation and feel like they are all positive! :)

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    To the OP: did you go through any training class on your own before carrying? If you did how do you feel about how useful it was/is? Do you think you will seek additional training in the future?

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    It's odd, despite carrying a loaded gun, with a round chambered, with no manual safety, every day, all day long... I've had no accidental discharges, no kids shooting themselves with my gun, and my gun has not gone on any killing sprees that I'm aware of.

You're not doing it right. ;)

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I was pretty nervous my first few weeks carrying. The first month I CCed walking around like a stoner walking into the grocery store. No, not in euphoria, but paranoid and constantly wondering if those people over there were talking about ME. :):

The next month I started OCing everywhere legal and haven't looked back. I CC and OC both, situation determining, but I OC/CC about 70/30% these days. And about 90% of the time OWB.

Top Bottom