• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flick1900

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Troy, IN
    I was told to never use reloaded ammo in my concealed carry. Only use reloads for target practice. Legal issue.

Does anyone know if this is true? If so, why?

Thanks,

Flick1900

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    i know of (homemade hollow-points) being a big no no, but any ball or fmj ammo, go ahead and carry it. just make sure it is a quality reload.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Because many self-defense shootings can end up in a law suit, it is generally recommended that you use factory ammo.

It is easy for an attorney to make you and your "horrible home made ammo" to look like some kind of "weapon of mass destruction" to a jury that is not knowledgable of such things.

There are so many good self defense loads available today that it's worth it in my book.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I can see the lawsuit side of things but better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6. If you cant affod it "Run what you brung"

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I feel like I'd have a hard time making something that was more effective and reliable than the self-defense ammo designed and manufactured by multi-million dollar companies such as Hornady....plus the possible legal issues mentioned above.

cscheurich

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Attica In
    i carry the hornady critical defense rounds in my carry gun when i am carrying i was also told by a good friend of mine who is sheriffs deputy that i should carry any reloaded ammo as defense ammo due to if im in a situation where i need to use my gun reloads may miss fire then what? and from legal aspect you look a better in court with factory ammo rather than reload

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Didn't someone once say that every round fired in a self-defense scenario has a law-suit attached? If you trust your reloading technique, then I'd say that carrying reloads would be just fine. It could be hammered by an attorney, but if the shooting is righteous, it should become a non-factor IMHO. I'm not an attorney. I'm sure that an attorney would advise not to carry reloads.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    i carry the hornady critical defense rounds in my carry gun when i am carrying i was also told by a good friend of mine who is sheriffs deputy that i should carry any reloaded ammo as defense ammo due to if im in a situation where i need to use my gun reloads may miss fire then what? and from legal aspect you look a better in court with factory ammo rather than reload

Factory loaded ammo can misfire, point invalid.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I load HP rounds, but they go into my SHTF stash. I carry either Hornady Critical Defense, or Winchester Ranger. I trust me reloads 100%, but I stick with factory loaded ammo for carry.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

I've had a higher percentage of problems with factory ammo than my own handloads once I became proficient.

As far as the discussion of handloaded vs factory loads, it MAY be more of a point in a civil trial, as may be your caliber choice, holster choice, etc. It may be a minor point in a criminal trial if your shoot wasn't completely righteous. I carry factory ammo in my EDC since it's not a big deal and MAY make a minor difference in later legal defense, but like with everything when it comes to self defense there are bigger variables at play that make much more of a difference.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was told to never use reloaded ammo in my concealed carry. Only use reloads for target practice. Legal issue.

Did the guy also tell you aim for the knee caps? Was it a Marine Sniper in a gun store? Did he say that using hollow points make it look like you're trying to kill? Or what about if you have a round in the chamber? Safety off? Smoothed trigger? Night sights?

I call Barbara Streisand on all these stories about don't do/carry _____ or an "over zealous" DA will send you to the chair.

:twocents:

Top Bottom