• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    Going to be reloading .40 S&W, 9mm Lugger and .380 ACP. What powder does everyone use for these calibers? Is there 1 powder that would be good for all 3 calibers? Was told to use Winchester 231 for .40, would that be good for 9mm and .380 also?

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I use Longshot for .40 I have heard it is good for the 9 as well don't know about .380

I went through alot of different powders trying to find one for the .40 I liked. I also use it for 10mm and some 357 works great.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    In the alliant line, you can find data for Bullseye, Unique, Power Pistol, and Blue Dot for all (3) calibers... Listed in order from slowest burning to fastest.

I am not familiar with other powders not from the Alliant line up but have heard many like 231, Tite-Group, Accurate # 2,5, or 7 and see there is data for the (3) calibers you listed.

Also have heard like the above poster said good things about Longshot. Also, the VitaVhouri line has many good options, but unfortuanately I need to update my manuals and don't have data for these at this time handy.

Once you decide what you are looking for in the way of performance, you can trim the majority of these out. It makes all the difference if your looking for mild target loads or higher end hotter loads. Also, many of these powders burn MUCH cleaner than the others.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    .40 = Universal for jacketed and No.7 for lead.

Not much Experience with 9mm or .380 but I would probably use Universal or Power Pistol.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Bought a pound of Bullseye at Cabelas tonight. They were out of 231 plan on trying it also. I know Blythe's in Valpo had some.

I wish I had seen this before you bought Bullseye. It works, it's accurate, but it's filthy. Especially in the .40.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom