• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtucker46725

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    I am looking for advice on reloading for 45-70. I am working with a 405 gr bullet right now. I am shooting a replica sharps rifle. Does anyone have any favorite loads?

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Just stay with the loads recommended for the "trap door" rifles. These keep the pressures down. remember, the 45-70 was originally a black powder round and the Sharps was designed for the black powder version.
    Using cast 405 gr. bullets, I have had good luck with H4895. I will ave to check the powder weight when I get home. That being said, I shoot a Marlin 1895 Guide gun which probably has a much shorter barrel than the Sharps replica.
    Note: Midway stocks Rainier plated 405 gr. rounds which might be of interest. Leading has never been a problem at traditional 45-70 velocities.
    I wish I had a replica Sharps, Rolling Block or High Wall. I love to shoot black powder muzzle loaders and a BP cartridge gun would fit right in.

AccuRat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Just north of nowhere...
    +1. Be really careful using modern loads in a Sharps. I, too, have a chopped Marlin 1895 that will digest just about anything, but I don't think your Sharps was designed for my heavy elk loads.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    45-70 is one of those calibers that match well with cast lead bullets. The RCBS 405g GC was the first one that I used in both the Marlin and Pedersoli Sharps. Check your bore diameter before loading up store bought cast as anything undersized will not give good accuracy and be prone to leading.:)

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    If you are planning on using black powder------start with 50gr of 2F---lightly compress the powder--put an over powder card--do NOT leave a gap between the powder and the bullet-----if you have a space between powder and bullet,fill the space with commercial filler,or use cornmeal,seat bullet firmly on filler/wad(not crushed)-----------target shooters do not crimp the cases-------------again,NO SPACE BETWEEN POWDER AND BULLET

blitzen25cat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    south east indiana
    I load for an original Springfield 45/70 and found IMR Trailboss to work in large caliber loads due to its bulk and burn rate. I use 12gr with 405gr cast flat nose which gives 971 fts. Burns very clean and very easy on the shoulder and gun.

Top Bottom