• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I've got a problem with my 40 reloads. I think I can narrow down to a couple of possibilites.

I've got an old load which has worked always for me in the past.

40 S&W

I use 4.3 grains of titegroup - 180 Grain FN FMJ (hornady bullets) and set them to 1.118-1.120 COL

It's always worked for me from Taurus, Rugers, and Glock 27 to Glock 22.

I got a new Glock 35 and the reloads jam 90% of the time with Failure to Feed.

Now I've case gauage the reloads, I've put them in the glock 35 barrel and all are smooth in and out no problems catching - no case bulges of any type.

I even used the G35 mags in the 27 to make sure that wasn't the problem and they ran fine in the 27.

Now the gun G35 runs just fine with S&B factory ammo. Its still a FN round, but seems to be a little more round nose on the sides instead of straight lines like the hornady if that makes any sense.

I have a few pics - sorry there not that great. also couple of pics of the rounds I pulled out - Once you pull the slide back they just fall out so there not "stuck" by any means just a small tap and they come out. You'll see some scratches near the top of the brass - not sure if these are from the top or bottom of the round - guessing bottom.

My first thought is the G35 is a longer slide and the round may not be powerful enough on the new spring to slide it far enough back to load the next round completely? Where as the S&B ammo would be?

I have had no FTE so seems powerful enough to do that but not load the next one in?

77f8ae90.jpg

af9c99e5.jpg

4ab7144d.jpg

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Have you changed the guide rod or is it factory? it sounds like you've done a lot of trouble-shooting already and shown that it's not the mag or issues with the feed ramp so if it's not chambering then maybe it's not fully cycling the slide? You may be onto something since it appears with other factory loads the G35 does just fine.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Have you changed the guide rod or is it factory? it sounds like you've done a lot of trouble-shooting already and shown that it's not the mag or issues with the feed ramp so if it's not chambering then maybe it's not fully cycling the slide? You may be onto something since it appears with other factory loads the G35 does just fine.

Yes everything is stock - I have not switched out anything and I have tried up to 6 different mags and same results.

I've thought about polishing the feed ramp to see if that helps.

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    no expert but could the load be too light for the recoil spring you have? If you manually pull the slide and and let it go does it load the bullet everytime?

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    no expert but could the load be too light for the recoil spring you have? If you manually pull the slide and and let it go does it load the bullet everytime?

Yes I can manually cycle the gun with no failure to feed.

I've been thinking low power with the longer slide - just wanted to see if anyone thought differently before loading some with a bit more juice.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Well a small update incase anyone else runs into this.

Short recap - having FTF issues with my G35 using my reloads that have worked well in every other 40 I've shot them out of including a G22 which is close...

I took the advise and decided to up the charge on the round from a 4.3 gr of titegroup up to a 4.5 thinking that might be enough to do the trick.

After 50 rounds I had a little better success but still way to many FTF. Again no ejection issues just the next round jaming while feeding.

So A few mentioned they load at 4.6 grains. I loaded 100 rounds to test.

Out of 80 rounds I ran - 15 FTF. So at this point I'm thinking its not all the charge because I'm having way to many FTF and the charge should be more than enough to cycle the gun. Again no FTE just feeds.

So while thinking of what to try next I measured the S&B factory ammo I was using and the COL was 1.127. My loads were at 1.118 and under the COL recammendation of 1.125 from Hodgdon.

So I thought what the heck lets make them the same as the S&B and see what happens because I had nothing else to try.

Loaded 50 rounds - took them to the range yesterday.

THEY WORKED!! 100% :rockwoot:

So for now.. I'm leaving it alone! :cool:

All I can think is they were too short and that .009 made all the difference.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Loaded 50 rounds - took them to the range yesterday.

THEY WORKED!! 100% :rockwoot:

So for now.. I'm leaving it alone! :cool:

All I can think is they were too short and that .009 made all the difference.

It sure can. I wouldn't of thought so not too long ago, especially in a bottleneck, but I had a similiar issue in my G32 and loading Gold Dots. I loaded the OAL to where the Speer manual said and had several FTF... I checked a factory loaded round that I knew fed flawlessly and saw .010 difference. After seating my loads that .010 deeper, never had a issue again. In this case, I had to seat deeper.

I have also seen where .010 difference in a cast SWC design in .45 ACP makes all the difference in feeding thru my XD's. In this case, leaving the OAL longer is what it took.

Glad to hear you have it figured out now ! :yesway:

Top Bottom