• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    So I will be hunting mule deer and maybe elk out west this year. Or at least tagging along on a hunt with my in laws.

I'll be going out to see them next week and it was suggested we do a little shooting with my new rifle and get me started reloading for it. They all take this stuff pretty seriously. To help me appear at least a little knowledgable, what components should I take with me? They probably have plenty but just in case.

This is for my Winchester 70 lightweight chambered for 7-08. Mostly I need bullets that give me enough energy to kill an elk but I don't know how much that really is, or how to find the best powder for it other than looking in a manual.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    at one time my father and i planned a elk trip. he was going to take a 7mm rem mag. i firgured for that gun a 160 game king would work well because of its rapid expansion.

when i went to colorado elk hunting i was told the rule of thumb is 2000 ft lbs of energy at the elk. i dont know that from experiance im just saying what the guide told me.

as far as powder i use h4831 in my rem mag and h4350 in my 260 (based off the same case as the 7-08). i would think either would serve you well. here is a link with more info
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=349882&gonew=1#UNREAD

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    So I will be hunting mule deer and maybe elk out west this year. Or at least tagging along on a hunt with my in laws.

I'll be going out to see them next week and it was suggested we do a little shooting with my new rifle and get me started reloading for it. They all take this stuff pretty seriously. To help me appear at least a little knowledgable, what components should I take with me? They probably have plenty but just in case.

This is for my Winchester 70 lightweight chambered for 7-08. Mostly I need bullets that give me enough energy to kill an elk but I don't know how much that really is, or how to find the best powder for it other than looking in a manual.

I know you want to appear knowledgeable, but if you aren't, you won't fool them. IMO, it is far better to show up with your rifle and factory ammo and let them lead you on the way.

There is no shame in ignorance. But trying to pretend just leads to problems.

You will gain respect by explaining that you need their help in developing a load for your rifle.

But what do I know? JMHO

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    It might be helpful to google some Elmer Keith articles, while I don't recall him using a 7mm-08 he has alot out there on hunting rounds and calibers to use, and he has covered elk hunting.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Because of the size of the animal and the distances shot, a 7mm X 08 may be a little on the light side. I know that there are experienced professional hunters that have used lighter calibers than that, but they have the skill set to comnpensate.

I would call some of the outfitters and guides in the area and ask them. I'll bet that 300 Win mag is recommended.

Good Luck on your trip and hunt.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    You did fine with the chambering. Once set up on the equipment side your job is to put the bullet in the right spot. Concerns over meaningless calculations like energy have driven more misses, by putting new shooters behind big recoiling rifles, than probably anything else.

In 7mm I would look at Hornady 162 AMaxs first. Knowing model 70 mag boxes and throats you probably will have to jump them a ways though, so I'd carry along Barnes 110 TTSXs or 120 TSXs as well. At 7-08 velocities you'll have a hard time keeping any of the above inside both an elk and a mulie standing side by side, at any range you're likely to become comfortable with between now and the season.

7-08 is fantastic for a utility rifle role. It tugged at my heart strings this past weekend and convinced me to lay off the usual 243AI addiction. Against hogs it breezed a couple of Barnes 110s almost the whole way through the long way. Hog gristle plates make their vitals harder to get through from most angles, than elk, but there were no survivors.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    You put one well constructed bullet in an elks boiler room with that 7/08
    and he will drop.
    Way too many people think elk are armor plated.
    Just practice as much as you can so you can put it there when the opportunity comes
    along.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I know you want to appear knowledgeable, but if you aren't, you won't fool them. IMO, it is far better to show up with your rifle and factory ammo and let them lead you on the way.

There is no shame in ignorance. But trying to pretend just leads to problems.

You will gain respect by explaining that you need their help in developing a load for your rifle.

But what do I know? JMHO
    Excellent advice here. They'll probably enjoy helping you develop a good round too.

Top Bottom