• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Just checking this out to see if anybody is interested. I would like to be able to shoot my .270 more, but pay less for ammo (instead of $30-$40 per box of factory). Would anybody around the NW side of Indy be willing to load maybe 50 rounds of .270 for me (maybe on annual basis). I'd supply bullets and brass, pay for powder/primers and labor, would check for information necessary to reload (i.e. loads that have worked well with others who have the same gun as I do) and would supply dies if necessary. As much as I would love to reload,

(a) I really don't need another expensive hobby
    (b) don't have the room for it anyway
    (c) don't have an AR or other gun requiring lots of ammo, and
    (d) don't get to the range enough as is to merit investing in the scales, reamers, etc.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Someone not licensed cannot reload for you for pay.

Having said that, for the amount you are talking about reloading, you are looking at maybe 2 hours worth of work and $50 worth of equipment that can all fit in a shoebox and can be done anywhere (literally anywhere).

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Someone not licensed cannot reload for you for pay.

Having said that, for the amount you are talking about reloading, you are looking at maybe 2 hours worth of work and $50 worth of equipment that can all fit in a shoebox and can be done anywhere (literally anywhere).

OK, wasn't aware of legality issues. I know there's lots of threads on what equipment/components to buy, etc. but could you make a recommendation on what would be a good equipment purchase, what I need vs. don't need, etc. If it helps, primarily looking to reload for hunting ammo, so having a .25" group at 100 yds isn't as important to me as making sure that the animal will be hit in the vitals, and if I'm paying a lot of money for an out of state tag where I may only get one shot, it's going to go bang.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    If you worded it along the lines of: Hey, I will buy the dies and consumables, I was wondering if someone could help me start reloading on their equipment, I bet you would get sonme takers.

There is absolutely no way in hell I would load rounds for somebody else, unless they were right there with me and involved in the process. One mistake and I send you the rounds, one goes kaboom, then guess who is liable?

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    If you worded it along the lines of: Hey, I will buy the dies and consumables, I was wondering if someone could help me start reloading on their equipment, I bet you would get sonme takers.

^ This. Also, you might offer to "rent" their bench for a few burgers thrown on the grill and possibly some suds to follow.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    OK, wasn't aware of legality issues. I know there's lots of threads on what equipment/components to buy, etc. but could you make a recommendation on what would be a good equipment purchase, what I need vs. don't need, etc. If it helps, primarily looking to reload for hunting ammo, so having a .25" group at 100 yds isn't as important to me as making sure that the animal will be hit in the vitals, and if I'm paying a lot of money for an out of state tag where I may only get one shot, it's going to go bang.

Classic Loader 270 Winchester

2012 Annual Reloading Manual Reloading Manual
    Safety Magnetic Powder Scale 100 Grain Capacity

There are a lot of people out there who are reloading on thousands of dollars worth of equipment out there who might scoff at this setup, but a former InGO user Joe Williams loaded for years with these dies and has an excellent video on how it's done. Since he has been banned from this site I won't link to his video but a youtube search can show how they are used.

The Lee Powder scale is crap but will work for your purposes and you can probably find an experienced reloader who will GIVE you one since the things breed like rats and few of us use them.

A pound of powder, 300 primers, 300 bullets, the dies, scale, manual, and mallet will all fit in a shoebox and you could reload in a tent if you wanted to and this setup will reload 50 rounds in 1-2 hours. I chose the number 300 because that is approximately how many rounds your pound of powder will reload. Yes, you can spend a lot more money, but you don't have to. If you get into reloading as a hobby you will, but if you are happy reloading a hundred rounds a year then this will serve you the rest of your life.

Find someone experienced with reloading to show you the basics of it and you'll be well on your way with no major investment in time or money.

I have one of these die sets in every common caliber I own set away in my SHTF grab and go stash and have used them enough to know they work, even though my normal reloading setup is much nicer.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'd either go with Andrew's service or spend a few dollars more to get a simple reloading setup. If you choose to have Andrew load your 270 rounds, I would humbly recommend 140gr Accubond bullets, as a great all-around option for 270 Winchester. IME, they are a perfect compromise of flat trajectory and exceptional terminal performance.

I am particularly to H4831SC for that particular cartridge. YMMV and Andrew may have some suggestions, as well.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    The only reason to buy factory ammo is to get brass for reloading quick! ;)

Buy a setup. It just isn't that expensive to get started. No more than you say you will shoot, which would change drastically if you actually did your own loading, you can buy one of the least expensive setups our there and be just fine.

Get a manual, read the front where the "how too's" are, read it 5 or 6 times before you get your equipment, several times after, ask some questions, then get started.

It ain't brain surgery. If so, 99.9% of us wouldn't be able to do it! ;)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Elkhart, IN
    I shoot 35 Remington. 454 Casull & 44 Mag rounds. All expensive to shoot. So I started reloading last year. I normally just decide to reload when I have a free afternoon. I turn on the Cubs game on the radio and go at it. When the game is over I normally will have between 50 and 100 rounds loaded and ready to go depending on which I'm doing and how things go. Do it yourself you will be glad you did. It's much easier than one would think and takes very little room at all. You could do it in a closet if so inclinded.

Top Bottom