• ...and so much more!
  • bamthetrashman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Hello Everyone,

I recently acquired some .357 RNFP 170gr gas checked bullets. Is it ok to load the cartridge to the same velocities as a copper jacket bullet of similar weight and shape? or do you have to load these at lead bullet velocities?

Thanks!

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    Do you have a reloading manual?

The gas check will give you more velocity than a lead bullet but not as much as all jacketed bullets.

I know that was vague but I really dont know what velocity you are trying to reach with the cast to be able to tell you.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    The gas check is just to assist in not leading the barrel which can happen when loading at the high end of the reloading manual's recommended load for lead bullets (especially for magnum rounds). I would not recommend velocities that are similiar to a copper jacketed bullet. Stick with the lead load suggestions and you'll be fine.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    The main consideration in shooting cast is the fit of the bullet to the bore. It should be .001 or .002 larger than the bore. If the fit is right and the lube is good, a gas checked cast bullet can be pushed at a pretty good velocity.

I'm shooting cast through my 357 max at over 2000 fps and get no leading.

Some experimentation is usually required to get a gun to shoot cast to it full potential.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I would say you should be able to get the same velicities as a jacketed bullet with a gas check and little to no leading. It will however take less powder than a jacketed bullet. AS has been said, bullet fit is very importiant with cast bullets. I've got a 195gr .357 mould and I've got near 2000fps with it and no issues. Same on a 215 mould for my .35 Remington.

bamthetrashman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for the info everyone.

I basically want to push this bullet as fast as I can without excessive leading and without harming myself or the gun. My intention is for this load to be my deer hunting load out of a Marlin 357 Lever gun. I am wanting to push these bullets to at least 1700 fps out of the Marlin. My approach WAS to use FMJ data, but I think I will just us lead data and start in the middle and work my way up to max.

The Lyman 49th list H110, but I was wanting to use Lil'Gun. Hodgdon website doesn't list a lead 170gr bullet for Lil'Gun. I am wanting to use Lil'Gun because it gives more velocity with less pressure. Any idea where I can get some data for this bullet using Lil'Gun?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    with a bullet of 18 brinell without gas checks i'm pushin' 45 Colt to 1525fps from a 7 1/2" barrel and 1875fsp from a 20" barrel rifle no leadin' and dead on accurate........i would say if your under 2000fps you shouldn't need gas check with the right hardness of boolit...

Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    The Lyman 49th list H110, but I was wanting to use Lil'Gun. Hodgdon website doesn't list a lead 170gr bullet for Lil'Gun. I am wanting to use Lil'Gun because it gives more velocity with less pressure. Any idea where I can get some data for this bullet using Lil'Gun?

Here

D

EODThree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Brazil
    IMO: You want to be careful (read CAREFUL) using maximum loads with TG. When the chamber pressure gets near the top, a little bit of powder can make a BIG difference.

Top Bottom