• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The primer wouldn't bother me but those extractor/ejector imprints just might.
    What pistol were these shot out of?
    Whats the load and bullet please?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The primer wouldn't bother me but those extractor/ejector imprints just might.
    What pistol were these shot out of?
    Whats the load and bullet please?

I dunno, brother. I load Treefiddyseb'n pretty hot (158's at 1,500+ out of a 6" tube)...

...and those primers up there still look like dogsh** compared to anything I load.

Look at the lack of remaining radius, and migration. And these are thin-wall pistol primers; they don't tolerate nearly as much as do rifle, when compression transitions to shear at that radius as it is pounded out to 90 degrees (or worse) by overpressure loads.

@armalitesheepdog, punch a few out, and look at them sideways. They look like a mushroom, don't they?

Tilt the can less.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Primers are fine. Brass is beaten though. Is there something on your

I dunno, brother. I load Treefiddyseb'n pretty hot (158's at 1,500+ out of a 6" tube)...

...and those primers up there still look like dogsh** compared to anything I load.

Look at the lack of remaining radius, and migration. And these are thin-wall pistol primers.

@armalitesheepdog, punch a few out, and look at them sideways. They look like a mushroom, don't they?

Tilt the can less.
    I will have a look

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Jest ponder it: that pistol was originally designed for a 20,000 PSI bang. The bangs you are putting through it--if appearance says anything--are probably over 40,000 PSI.

Ruger doesn't know how to build anything WITHOUT overbuilding, but that doesn't mean your slide won't end up in pieces in your hands and face, when you blow a case.

What's a 1911 rated for on breech-face thrust?

...bet it ain't 40k.

Waldog

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2024
    Southeast Indiana
    The second case looks like it was shot out of a first or second generation Glock. Early Glocks left a small rectangular mark on the primer . Hard to tell from the picture.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove

Look at the lack of remaining radius, and migration. And these are thin-wall pistol primers; they don't tolerate nearly as much as do rifle, when compression transitions to shear at that radius as it is pounded out to 90 degrees (or worse) by overpressure loads.

Tilt the can less.
    This guy reads my mind.
    I am a little concerned about the primer flow into the firing pin channel.

Disclaimer; I haven't ever loaded 10mm, but have some experience abusing a Ruger Security Six. (lots of 2400 and 125gr jacketed hollow points)

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Jest ponder it: that pistol was originally designed for a 20,000 PSI bang. The bangs you are putting through it--if appearance says anything--are probably over 40,000 PSI.

Ruger doesn't know how to build anything WITHOUT overbuilding, but that doesn't mean your slide won't end up in pieces in your hands and face, when you blow a case.

What's a 1911 rated for on breech-face thrust?

...bet it ain't 40k.
    I really don't know,
    I understand what you are saying, but the primers just dont bother me. The 10mm has a good web in the bottom of the case. It can be a hot cartridge if one wants it to be.
    I only have two 10mm's A Delta and a HK, I really dont shoot either anymore. I cracked the frame of the Colt and it was replaced under warranty with the beefed up model and with the HK, parts are just to hard to get now.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    This guy reads my mind.
    I am a little concerned about the primer flow into the firing pin channel.

Disclaimer; I haven't ever loaded 10mm, but have some experience abusing a Ruger Security Six. (lots of 2400 and 125gr jacketed hollow points)
    Yea, but I believe 10mm has a much heavier web than 40 and 357.
    It's like comparing 357 webs to 360 Dan Wesson webs.
    And with that heavy web that doesn’t expand, what little primer flow is going happen will flow into the only place it can go.

I form 22 Jet out of 360 Dan Wesson brass for that reason.

Top Bottom