• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok, asking this because I'm planning on getting a small reloading setup going at home, instead of trying to talk my dad into cleaning off his workbench endlessly...

I live in an apartment. Electric heat. VERY dry. In the winter especially, I have a serious problem in my computer room/office/workshop/whatever with static electricity (I have a computer desk made of steel and glass and can zap myself pretty good).
    The workbench I'd be using for reloading (just about finished it, review of kit coming soon!) has plastic/poly/resin legs, 2x4 frame and plywood shelves.

How much do I need to be concerned about static making something go boom when I'm reloading?
    What steps could I take (if possible, a lot of things aren't allowed with apartment property) to minimize the static buildup, especially regarding the workbench/reloading bench??

:dunno:

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I've never had a problem with static except for making the powder stick to the insides of plastic. A room humidifier will help to alleviate any static and as a side benefit make your living space a whole lot more comfortable.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    If you're concerned about static spark, take the same precautions used when filling your gas tank....touch something metal to discharge any static you might build up. Or look into a static reducing mat to set up your station.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    Take a spray bottle (16-20 oz) put 2-4 oz of liquid fabric softer, fill the rest of the way with water and spray a light mist on your carpet. Let dry. That should take care of any static.

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Or when at the bench, try wearing a static discharge ground strap. Such as the ones used when handling/working on circuit boards.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I've never had a problem with static, but it sounds like you've got an exceptionally dry area. They make anti-static floor mats that you can buy. They use them in recording studios to keep the electric hiss and pop interference down. If the fabric softener or discharge straps don't work, might want to look into one.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I'll keep those all in mind, I'd thought about the anti-static mat... Not going to be reloading right away, new job is gonna catch some bills up first, just wanted to be prepared and have the info ready.

Normally, the humidity in my apartment runs 0-10%, VERY dry. I probably need a humidifier, but dont really have space for one big enough for the whole apartment...

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I'll keep those all in mind, I'd thought about the anti-static mat... Not going to be reloading right away, new job is gonna catch some bills up first, just wanted to be prepared and have the info ready.

Normally, the humidity in my apartment runs 0-10%, VERY dry. I probably need a humidifier, but dont really have space for one big enough for the whole apartment...

You'd be surprised how much a table top humidifier for a medium to large room will help and they don't take up much space. I use one and it keeps the humidity at 30% in an 1100 sq-ft house. They only cost $30 to $40 and are worth every penny, with the right humidity there's no static and you can set your thermostat back a few degrees and be more comfortable. I like the warm mist ones, they seem to do a better job, but you do have to clean the lime out of them more often, (CLR works great). Honestly if you are worried about static in your apartment while reloading it's the best and overall cost effective solution. No static, lower heating bills and your skin won't dry out and itch.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    You REALLY need to buy a room humidifier. (one with a water tank and filter - not one of the electronic vaporizers, they are not good for electronics and computers) Besides the safety issue with static sparks while reloading, living in an environment that dry will cause serious health issues. A small humidifers is a cheap investment, I have one that I keep in a room full of guitars and it's over ten years old and still keeps the room at 40%.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Cool, thanks for the tips, I'll have to shop around and find one once I get a couple paychecks under my belt. I've been considering one for my bedroom for a while, since I wake up with a really dry sore throat a lot, since it's dry as he.....ck in here, lol.
    My hydrometer (I think its called) shows 12% right now... Not sure how accurate it, it's built into a cheap wall clock, heh.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would worry about static, not for explosion but fire. Have you ever lit a pile of smokeless powder with a match? It flares way up really fast. I only reload on concrete or tile floor and do not even wear wool or flannel long sleeves. A little humidity will help, If you have to handle powder in the kitchen in the winter, set a pot of water to boil. Static does make the powder stick to stuff and make things harder to handle also. With the shotgun press, I got rid of powder bottle static problem by dusting the inside of the powder bottle with powdered graphite. I may be over cautious, but I have not burned down anything either. Good Luck

Top Bottom