• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Is 299 plus tax a fair price for this? I missed the sale this past weekend for 279, and looking to do some yote whacking. Let me know the sale ends today. Forgot to mention it comes with a bushnell 3x9 mounted and bore sighted.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Personally I dont care for the 770, but it is cheap.

$299 is the "normal" price for one.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    With or without the cheap scope? With the cheap scope it's an ok price. Without the cheap scope, no.

I know I hate when people say "have you looked at..." when I am asking about a specific gun, and I am a Remington fan, but I'm owned a 770 and was not that impressed with it. I have the Stevens model 200 (made by Savage) and found that as a gun in the same general price range (with cheap scope) it was a much better gun.

Just FYI.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    With or without the cheap scope? With the cheap scope it's an ok price. Without the cheap scope, no.

I know I hate when people say "have you looked at..." when I am asking about a specific gun, and I am a Remington fan, but I'm owned a 770 and was not that impressed with it. I have the Stevens model 200 (made by Savage) and found that as a gun in the same general price range (with cheap scope) it was a much better gun.

Just FYI.

I don't buy Remington for several reasons. The main reason is Savage has proven to me to be a better firearm out of the box. You would do better to get a Stevens than a cheapo Remington any day. Heck, you would probably be better served to buy a Stevens than a nice Remington.

I have never owned a remington of any kind, I am just looking for a varmint caliber I am a savage and henry rifle fan.
    Trust me, $300 is no reason to start now.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    If that lever 17 in the classifieds was closer I would have it in a heart beat. I like bolts and levers A LOT. So if anybody has something close I would love to get a new gun haha.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    The hallmark of a true fanboy.

LMAO, no, well, yes, but not a blind fanboy. I have tried them all (Ruger, Remington, Browning, Savage, Winchester, Marlin, even Mosins and Mausers) and when the figurative dust settled, Savage came out on top in my book, based on quality, features, price, and ammo selection. Ruger and Remington are hit and miss on quality control. Winchester had some problems there for a while, but are good rifles for the most part, just very mass produced feeling. Not much "attention to detail" going on. Same for Marlin, except they seem like they are riding everyones coat tails. Browning makes a solid product, but a little pricey. Savage has it all. A solid selection of styles, and calibers, they are head and shoulders more innovative than the competition, they keep their prices low, their rifles are designed in such a way that they are easier to work on, and they are not so big a company that they don't need the average Joe customer like Remington has become.

I'm not some blind idiot that thought the Indian Head was sooo much cooler looking that a big swoopy R. I did my research, and that is how I arrived at my conclusions.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I disagree I think a hallmark of fanboys is bashing things they have never even tried

Oh, that's covered under what I wrote. The most egregious of fanboys will do that almost exclusively.

We all have preferences, and there are some features of things that will fit a specific mission or set of requirements better than others. Broad blanket statements though, are less than useful and more often than not lead to the fanboys arguing back and forth and little real information or comparison gets generated as a result, but the internet commandos get to go home feeling they've "won."

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Oh, that's covered under what I wrote. The most egregious of fanboys will do that almost exclusively.

We all have preferences, and there are some features of things that will fit a specific mission or set of requirements better than others. Broad blanket statements though, are less than useful and more often than not lead to the fanboys arguing back and forth and little real information or comparison gets generated as a result, but the internet commandos get to go home feeling they've "won."

My thought process is, I am aware of probably 98% of what is on the market today. I am a scholar of all things in this industry. I have handled probably 50% of what is out there. I have fired 25%. That 25% is comprised of several brands, styles, and configurations that represent a decent cross section of the market as a whole. When I find something I like, I make it known. There is too much negativity and bashing, an not enough praise in this industry. A bolt gun is a bolt gun is a bolt gun, until you find one with a better action, more ergonomic controls, lower price vs quality, or better accuracy. When those cross my path, I will put it out there for other people to notice. It's nothing against one brand or another, as much as it is me trying to make sure a brand gets the proper recognition for what it is. There are guys with safes full of Remington (for example), that get butthurt when I tell them a Savage that costs less shot better than theirs does. I'm not out to change your world, I just want you to see everything in it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    There are guys with safes full of Remington (for example), that get butthurt when I tell them a Savage that costs less shot better than theirs does. I'm not out to change your world, I just want you to see everything in it.

I have no dog in that fight. When I was searching for my latest precision build, I was considering both Remington and Savage equally, and if you notice, my advice to the OP was to consider the Stevens over the Remington. I like some Remington models, hate others. Just like I feel about most manufacturers who have a wide selection.

As far as "shot better" is concerned, that's a pretty tall order to back up because most modern rifles with good ammunition shoot better than the person shooting them. And most people won't take the time to invest in the optics and mounts to match the rifle, then won't take the time to tune a load for that particular gun, then they won't take the time and expense to shoot the gun well enough to learn its characteristics.

So if manufacturer X turns out an average of .9moa rifles and manufacturer Y turns out an average of .8moa rifles, it's really a pointless comparison since darn few people can shoot that well anyway. And I mean honest shooting which means they can put 5 or 10 round groups into whatever sized group they claim, each and every time they shoot, not the occasional tight 3 round group which turns into "all day long" when they post about it on the net or brag in the gun shop.

So if you happen to shoot a particular gun better, great. But a blanket statement of "shoots better" is of very little value. Scope and mount choice alone make more difference.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I am starting to remember my short experience with remington 870s.. pretty face, couldn't stand the gun. They also have mosins for 80 at dunhams.

Top Bottom