• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Oh, man! One of my favorite rifles! I’ve had one for quite awhile and have owned several others since then.
    designed to compete with the lever actions of he day, they were available in similar calibers, .25, .30, .32, & .35 Remington. Funny that the only one which didn’t have a lever action correlation, the .35, is the only one left around.
    I got mine severely damaged, with a blown out muzzle. I took it to an excellent machinist Freind and he did all the work to shorten it up to 16”, making it a one of a kind Model 8 Carbine! It’s a load of fun to shoot, I killed a couple deer with it using shortened cases. I mostly just plink with it and for that duty I use cast pistol caliber bullets of around 160 gr and 20.0gr of 2400. Cheap and mild shooting and it’s still got enough zip to hit steel at 200 if I do my part! Mine has an old Lyman Tang sight which helps out a lot.
    I’ll dig up some pictures of it later on. I love to show mine off!

edited to add that I have shot mine with everything from 110 gr pistol bullets up to 250gr rifle bullets meant for 35 Whelan and it has functioned fine with all of them! I picked up a 200 gr Lyman single cavity and did a hollow point modification to it to cast some hunting bullets. Unfortunately I never had a chance to shoot a deer with one, it I’m sure it would have done well!

Shortly after getting my Mod 8 up and running, I picked up a Winchester Model 1907 in .351 WSL. It was really neat to have basically the first two successful autoloading rifles available.
    Would love to see a pic of that 16”!

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    That is very cool! I bet you’re the only guy in the world with a 16” model 8!
    I think I was for awhile. I posted it on a few different boards and then a few years later, I found a model 8 board and there were a couple on there. I still remember when I got the front end back fro my buddy and assembled it for the first time. My eyes lit up and I said, “Frank Hamer would have loved this!”

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I didn’t have the screw in aperture for the tang sight when I got it, so I took it to a couple gun shows to find one. I showed it to one Remington collector and he looked it over. He said, “oh yeah, the model 8 carbine. They didn’t make many of those.” . I just took it back from him and agreed, smiling…

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Great post! Thanks for the memories! I have my Grandfather's Model 8 in my safe right now. The picture below is of him and the bear he killed early one morning in 1944 (I think). I was born in 1940 in the small house in the background. According to my records, the rifle was made in 1936 and was acquired by him in 1938. This was around Greenville, California, a small town (even today).

Bumping.....because the pic is just too awesome!

Top Bottom