• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    A couple of days ago I stopped at Plainfied Shooting Supply since I was in the area. I left there with a NIB R1 Enhanced. I'm not sure how that happened, since I'd told myself that I was swearing off of new-made Remington products.
    I had noticed that the front sight red "fiber optic??" bar was a little loose, it could be moved fore and aft a little.
    The next day, with the gun cleaned and lubed, the red front bar was coming halfway out of the sight by approximately round 150. At about round 200 it fell to the ground, and I picked it up and put it in my wallet.
    This is in no way PSS's fault, and I'm sure they would try to help if I went back up there but it's two hours to get there.
    To me, that front sight just looks funky. I never did care for the looks of that type of sight. But being practical, given the ability of my eyesight, it may be a good thing for me and I guess that's what matters. It may be that I just need to see if I can get the factory sight to stay in one piece, or find something else that works well for me.
    In the meantime I think I will send the slide to Remington to either get an original replacement, or have it replaced by them with a different sight altogether, although right now I don't know what that would be.
    These are dovetail sights, but it seems that I read somewhere that the R1 does not use the same dovetail that is typically found on a 1911.
    I was told that these have an excellant warranty and that the CS is generally very good. It looks like I will be finding out.
    I put 500 rounds thru the gun using the two Remington magazines, several Wilson 47D's and a bunch of mixed Colt and USGI magazines.
    I had one FTF at about round 450 using a Wilson mag. The gun was out of battery with the base of the cartridge sitting high, and the nose of the bullet low on the ramp. Also at the very begining, on the 3rd mag, the slide did not lock back on the empty mag (Remington mag). This was with plain, but good quality 230 grain Ball ammo.
    The trigger is very good, and the gun seems to have more accuracy potential than I am capable of making full use of.
    To me, even though I shouldn't be having this issue, it is a minor issue and I feel like I will have a decent 1911 in the end. Time will tell. It will get used hard, whether sandy, muddy, poorly lubed or whatever and if it has any weaknesses they will show theirself.

Another edit : The R1 cost about $150 less at PSS than at any other place I've seen them.

Last edited:

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It's not really uncommon for the rod to come loose on the fiber optic type sights. You can buy additional rod material and replace as needed. I'm personally not wild about fiber optic type sights either, but they are fine for the range.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    I've read something about when replacing the rods you have to melt the ends to keep them in place. Maybe that's all you need to do?

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I really appreciate the input guys.
    I didn't know that rod material can be bought. I'll measure the diameter and then do some searches for it.
    And thanks for the tip about melting the ends to deform them. I'm guessing that a simple soldering iron ect would make short work of that.
    This sure beats sending the slide back to Remington. Jeez, I just got the gun and want to work with it all that I can.
    Thanks again, it's much appreciated.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Dumb question, but did Remington come out with another model of the R1? Or is the R1 Enhanced the same as an R1?
    I bought a Remington R1 early to middle of last year. Put about 50 rds thru it, actually forgot I had it till this post.

schmeed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I've seen other 1911s with the fiber optic front sight and I steered clear. Just didn't think it would hold up to abuse. See if Remington will give you a single dot front sight.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have had a few rifles that came with fiber optic sights. They usually never last past the first hunting season. As far as visibility on target, they are pretty nice, but durability and dependability have always been lacking in my opinion.
    If it it to be strictly a target pistol, you might have a look into target sights for your application. If you intend to carry it, or are interested in low light visibility, tritium sights would probably be a more viable option.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I got the repair made earlier today. I just barely touched the end of the rod with a soldering gun and it melted it into a little wad that will keep it from coming out.
    This is temporary. At some point I intend to upgrade the sights.

I've seen two, and maybe three different R1 variations.
    Other than the sights I'm really liking this one so far.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I got the repair made earlier today. I just barely touched the end of the rod with a soldering gun and it melted it into a little wad that will keep it from coming out.
    This is temporary. At some point I intend to upgrade the sights.

I've seen two, and maybe three different R1 variations.
    Other than the sights I'm really liking this one so far.

So this doesn't cause any issues with light transmission of the fiber optic? I'm curious as I have never had a fiber optic sight.

I've stuck to night sights.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    This is the first sight of this type for me. All I know is I now have a red dot for an aiming point again.
    I remember when these things started showing up. It seems like I've seen alot of blackpowder rifles with them.
    They do give a good aiming point for someone that can't see real well, but like someone said you can look at them and see that they aren't durable.
    I'll come up with some better sights at some point but I have alot of other gun projects in the works for the time being. I guess that will be a Wintertime job.
    I ordered a spare stick of that red rod from Brownells today.

Top Bottom