• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I have the chance pick up a German 41 P08 luger through a trade. While the thought alone excites me i dont what rush into anything... She has been chromed and its chipping a bit it really needs to removed and re-blued/rust blued. Now with the dangers and environmental issues with the toxic "Hexavalent chromium" probably should leave this to the professionals. Is there anyone in Indiana and or surrounding area that will remove the chrome and brass platings from a firearm? And if thats too much of a issue who has media blasted chrome and chemically stripped the brass off and what where you results? Sense its such a collectible firearm i'm hesitant to use a blaster, i would hate to damage any of the proofs and stampings... I understand that sense she been chromed she never going to be a 2k safe queen but do want to increase its value but still be a weekend shooter.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Take it out and shoot it as is. Additional money will not raise the value and you'll spend what could be used on another firearm. They do make good shooters.:)

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I've heard his name come up a time or two is he s Indiana local? Leadeye is love to do just that but I know myself enough at some point I just won't be able to leave it alone

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    if it's already chromed any collector value is already shot. I would just enjoy it and shoot it because you won't ever make the thing worth more than you will have to dump into it, even with a proper reblue, and I doubt you could ever make it look right because of what the chroming process usually ruins (ie markings)

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Oh im sure the value of it being a collecter is pretty much gone, but like the fact it would be something im not afraid to shoot. But i think having it reblued would be more for me than trying to increase its value.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Oh im sure the value of it being a collecter is pretty much gone, but like the fact it would be something im not afraid to shoot. But i think having it reblued would be more for me than trying to increase its value.

Not to mention its and your self respect.

A chromed Lugar? :puke:

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Years ago I purchased a chrome plated Luger from the WWII vet who brought it home. He swore that it was already chrone plated when he liberated it from the German officer. Of course I did not believe him. Anyway, the chrome bothered me, so I sold it. Then, about a month later, the same vet brought me a photo of him IN GERMANY holding the CHROME PLATED Luger, a German helmet, and a flag.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've heard his name come up a time or two is he s Indiana local? Leadeye is love to do just that but I know myself enough at some point I just won't be able to leave it alone

Turnbull is out of New York, very high end and talented restoration group.:spend:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Years ago I purchased a chrome plated Luger from the WWII vet who brought it home. He swore that it was already chrone plated when he liberated it from the German officer. Of course I did not believe him. Anyway, the chrome bothered me, so I sold it. Then, about a month later, the same vet brought me a photo of him IN GERMANY holding the CHROME PLATED Luger, a German helmet, and a flag.
    We both are doubting that's the case with this one being a 1941, but it wasn't unusual back then for presentation models to be given out as gifts/awards but being during war production it would be unlikely.

Franke planting in Ft Wayne can stripe the plating off
    Thank you i will try and get in contact with him
    Turnbull is out of New York, very high end and talented restoration group.:spend:
    Thank you! i will being sending him a email as well!

Nitreoxide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2016
    Morresville
    A bucket of muriatic acid and a battery charger. Hang the peice from copper and put a peice of copper in the tank, hook up on low amps, chrome will dissappear.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    A bucket of muriatic acid and a battery charger. Hang the peice from copper and put a peice of copper in the tank, hook up on low amps, chrome will dissappear.

I know the process isn't that complex for removing chrome but properly disposal of the waste is very expensive and about impossible to find someone to take it. It makes a pretty toxic waste product I'd like to avoid, which is why I thought about using blasting media

Top Bottom