• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    OP Good luck with the Luger and thank you for your post in reaching out for advice. When your smith is done keep us posted and if not fixed, then don’t despair. The journey can be just as rewarding as the fix.

See you on the range.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Didn't say that your guy can't fix your pistol, and didn't say the other guy can.

Unfortunately, my observation has caused you to get defensive, so I'm going to step away. You do with your pistol what you want to do.

Best of success to you.
    Well, there you have it ...

On the one hand you have what sounds like a gunsmith that can fix your pistol, but costs more and is inconvenient.

On the other hand you also have a gunsmith who doesn't seem to be able to fix your pistol
    , but is less expensive and conviently located.

I know what I'd do to solve the problem.
    Just because you said it a certain way didn't mean the point wasn't the same.

You're the one who has been commenting in my threads to say snarky things at me and I would appreciate it if you stayed out of my threads from now on because you haven't been of any help and come off as condescending and rude. Good day sir.

Last edited:

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    OP Good luck with the Luger and thank you for your post in reaching out for advice. When your smith is done keep us posted and if not fixed, then don’t despair. The journey can be just as rewarding as the fix.

See you on the range.
    Thank you for your kind words, I appreciate it.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I will ask the obvious, what is wrong with the variable sight? I always thought those were kinda cool, better than the short radius artillery sight in my mind.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I will ask the obvious, what is wrong with the variable sight? I always thought those were kinda cool, better than the short radius artillery sight in my mind.
    They are cool but I'm not used to it, I don't like the shape of the v notch with how the stuff sticking on the sides of the rear sight seem distracting while the notch itself seems smaller to me.

LUGERMAN also told me the navy sight isn't that great on guns with 4 inch barrels as it's made for a pistol fitted with the 6 inch barrel.

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    They are cool but I'm not used to it, I don't like the shape of the v notch with how the stuff sticking on the sides of the rear sight seem distracting while the notch itself seems smaller to me.

LUGERMAN also told me the navy sight isn't that great on guns with 4 inch barrels as it's made for a pistol fitted with the 6 inch barrel.
    Well, that is true.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Hello everyone, i wanted to give an update to my Luger. I have it back and I believe the issue with the pistol not locking open is due to the magazine. But I would like other people's opinion.

When I hold the pistol one handed with the muzzle pointed up the toggle locks back most of the time. When i have the gun pointed down with the muzzle at the floor and try to lock the action back it will fail to do so.

I would love to hear what anyone thinks is going on. I haven't tried other mags yet.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hello everyone, i wanted to give an update to my Luger. I have it back and I believe the issue with the pistol not locking open is due to the magazine. But I would like other people's opinion.

When I hold the pistol one handed with the muzzle pointed up the toggle locks back most of the time. When i have the gun pointed down with the muzzle at the floor and try to lock the action back it will fail to do so.

I would love to hear what anyone thinks is going on. I haven't tried other mags yet.

Doesn't sound like it's coming far enough back on it's own. I'm assuming this is when you fire it, and if that's the case it may need hotter ammo. I've had a few Lugers over the years and still have one, they like ammo with a heavier bullet and faster burning powder. Broomhandle Mausers are the same way, maybe it's a German thing.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Doesn't sound like it's coming far enough back on it's own. I'm assuming this is when you fire it, and if that's the case it may need hotter ammo. I've had a few Lugers over the years and still have one, they like ammo with a heavier bullet and faster burning powder. Broomhandle Mausers are the same way, maybe it's a German thing.
    Hello, I haven't shot the gun yet. The issue with it not locking open is while it is unloaded and manually worked open while the muzzle is pointed down towards the floor.

When the pistol's barrel is pointing up to the ceiling it locks open about 90% of the time. I think it's the mag but I haven't tried any others yet to be sure.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    It sounds like gravity is having to do the lifting of the bolt catch. Every part of a P08 was hand fitted, there may be too much tolerance as it isn't coming up high enough to catch the bolt. Try a different mag and see if this solves the problem.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    It sounds like gravity is having to do the lifting of the bolt catch. Every part of a P08 was hand fitted, there may be too much tolerance as it isn't coming up high enough to catch the bolt. Try a different mag and see if this solves the problem.
    Yeah the new toggle link does make the entire upper assembly feel tighter when you reassemble the pistol to the frame compared to the old link being tight only when installing it into the barrel extension with the axle pin which is also a replacement part.

The gun just feels tighter fit now during reassembly in general compared to a factory stock luger but i still think it's the mag. I havent tried my others yet though to compare as they're buried deep in the safe.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Ok so as a final update I can confirm the entire problem has been around the magazine.

I tried my original ww1 era mag that has a stonger spring and it engages the new toggle link no matter where the muzzle is pointed *unloaded* up or down the action now holds open with authority.

Checking the frame with the upper removed i can see the hold open engages higher with the original mag compared to the one i bought on ebay.

Top Bottom