Bloomington
    Review of ATI 6 Position Collapsible Shotgun Stock

I am reviewing this using the following criteria:
    # Price
    # Ease of installation*
    # Ease of use*
    # Durability
    # Other

*Note* I am doing the review of this stock on a Mossberg 500A Shotgun.

~The ATI collapsible shotgun stock cost me $64.99 plus shipping at Brownells. I think this was a pretty good price due to the fact that other stocks (Blackhawk) can cost around $134. At this price point I would give the ATI stock a 5/5

~The stock came with installation instructions and pieces to attach it to a variety of different shotguns. The stock is ready without any extra pieces to attach it to a Mossberg 500 Shotgun. After using a long screwdriver to remove the wood stock from the shotgun, the gun was ready for installation. The ATI collapsible stock is composed of 3 major pieces and a few screws. The pistol grip part attaches first with an alan wrench. Next I attached the “buffer tube” and stock with a screw through both. The whole process (including taking off the wood stock) took maybe 15 mins. With the ease of attachment I give the ATI stock 5/5.

~The first thing that I found was that it is difficult to keep your firing hand on the pistol grip and activate/deactivate the safety. This is an issue with anyone, as it is hard to shoot the “would be bad guy” without your hand on the fire controls (I did find a fix for this, look for another product review from me). The pump action release notch is actually located in a position where it can be activated by the thumb of the firing hand. For those of us who practice slug changeovers this is nice, and I think it is easier to use here than it was with the wood sporting stock. One this I was concerned about before purchasing this product was that the stock would be at a weird angle and would not look good or point easily. I have seen some 870s with a similar stock from a different company, where the stock comes down a a weird angle. The set up seen in the pictures below didn't need any cheek weld adjustments to see the iron sights with the stock extended a little. With the Stock all the way in (as shown in the pictures) The cheek weld was perfect for the iTac red dot sight that I put on it. I am going to say that the difficulty reaching the safety outweighs the ease of actuating the pump, but the angle of the stock helps it out a little. I give it a 4/5 on ease of use.

~The stock feels pretty solid in general. The collapsible buttstock is a little loose on the plastic buffer tube and it rattles ever so slightly, but is stays on and locks in all 6 positions easily. The stock comes with a rubber buttpad installed on it and feels nice on your shoulder and stays on well. Durability the ATI stock gets a 4.5/5

~As far as other impressions, the stock does not reduce recoil at all, but it does make the shotgun easier to maneuver for those of us who are used to the pistol gripped black rifles that many of us own. There is also a little gap behind the trigger guard and in front of the pistol grip when the stock is installed. This does not affect function, it just looks a little weird at first. Because I was installing a lot of different parts on my Mossberg over the holidays I also noticed that you cannot disassemble the shotgun without taking off the stock (this means detaching the “buffer tube” from the pistol grip and then removing the pistol grip). In the “other” category I have to give this stock 4/5.

That is a total score of 90/100. That's an A-, so it passed my qualifications.

Overall I would definitely recommend the ATI collapsible shotgun stock to someone who doesn’t care about recoil and wants a pistol grip that works on a budget.

Now for the Pics! (Note: I also installed a shell holder on the side of the stock that can be seen in the pictures)
    Here is the whole shotgun with the ATI stock installed:
    5318117778_e01a5558fb.jpg

Here is a close up of the stock.
    5317523513_81a80fa579.jpg

Stay tuned for a review of the safety seen in the pics!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom