• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think Safariland's ALS system is better (because the thumb does the unlocking instead of the index finger, and because I think the lock overall is a better design). I run a 6378 holster (for Glock 17) on a 6004 leg chassis.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I think Safariland's ALS system is better (because the thumb does the unlocking instead of the index finger, and because I think the lock overall is a better design). I run a 6378 holster (for Glock 17) on a 6004 leg chassis.
    The Safariland gear is no doubt top notch.

I'm partial to the SERPA system because it's totally passive, meaning it doesn't take a conscious action to engage the retainment system of the holster.

When you're on the move in a dynamic situation, the fewer things you have to do the better, IMHO. When placing the pistol back in the holster of the 6004 you must sweep the hood closed to engage the retention system.

This isn't a major deal, granted. I'm just not a fan of the hood system. With training either system works as good as the person using it. Either, if unfamiliar with it, can cause a person hesitation in their presentation.

I also like that the SERPA forces you to extend your index finger where it should be for a safe presentation from the holster. When properly used, upon release from the holster your index finger falls along side the frame of the pistol.

The last feature of the SERPA that I like over the 6004 is the attachment point(s) of the holster to the belt. The SERPA uses a two point system that is more ergonomic, IMHO. With the single point systems the stiff material can bunch up or push out, or interfere with the the draw, on the upper portion of the holster during articulation. The SERPA doesn't do this. The SERPA also has a quick release system that's nice and allows you to attach your mounting points to your belt without taking it off and threading it through.

Blackhawk is the whipping boy of the gun gear world. People love to hate them, just as people love to hate the "cheap" AK's. There's definitely a anti-Blackhawk clique out there that rips apart everything they do. I know you're not doing this, I'm just saying in a general sense. I evaluate gear on its merits and based upon my personal experience. I feel that the SERPA tactical holster is a good product, with limitations (as with all gear).

I should also mention that for a concealment rig, I don't like retention systems at all. I prefer open top holsters. But for a leg holster system, I prefer the SERPA retention system for my needs.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm partial to the SERPA system because it's totally passive, meaning it doesn't take a conscious action to engage the retainment system of the holster.

When you're on the move in a dynamic situation, the fewer things you have to do the better, IMHO. When placing the pistol back in the holster of the 6004 you must sweep the hood closed to engage the retention system.

The 6378 is also a passive lock when placing the gun in the holster. It is an ALS holster, not SLS/rotating hood. The lock is disengaged with the thumb on the way up and out of the holster.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I'm looking at the 6305 Safariland, slow1911. I might pick one up to review. It lacks the hood system but does have the automatic locking system.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I like the SERPA holster and own one.

One of my firearms instructors got back from a class where two SERPA holsters got a bit of sand in them and the firearms couldn 't be removed out on the range (granted I believe the range was along Lake Michigan and they had two days of constant blowing sand to deal with)...

Warning, this video is about ten times longer than it needs to be.

YouTube - Blackhawk SERPA holster, failures and criticisms.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Full-Auto...are you and Promethius part of the same "gun-club"? That background looks exactly like his! Are you guys part of the Midwest Special Operations Group run by General Fenway? Merry Christmas!

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    In this second part, I test the locking system of the SERPA to see how much effort it takes to make it fail. You might want to watch this second video.

That's very cool (good videos too, by the way). I'm always wary when people knock a certain brand of gear or holster and wonder if they have an agenda. Like I said earlier, I've never had mine fail and really like it.

The first few times I heard of the SERPA issue was from coworkers who heard it from instructors. I was at a class a couple months ago where the instructers were really ragging on it and some other gear, but then I realized that every alternative piece of equipment they were recommending was from the same manufacturer (VTAC products made by 5.11). That really had me wondering if they were getting free gear/kickbacks/ or just brainwashed. Then, like I posted earlier, my Cpl. at work came back from a shooting school where they had two failures due to sand. He I trust and I know he isn't full of s$@* or have any kind of agenda.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Yup, I know what you mean.

I argued on another forum about the reliability of the SERPA system. I argued that if it were so frail and susceptible to failure, why would it be so popular and even issued to various LEO's and even military units?

Then it dawned on me. Why not just see for myself what it took to cause a failure. Brilliant, right? :)

I was surprised at the result.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yup, I know what you mean.

I argued on another forum about the reliability of the SERPA system. I argued that if it were so frail and susceptible to failure, why would it be so popular and even issued to various LEO's and even military units?

Then it dawned on me. Why not just see for myself what it took to cause a failure. Brilliant, right? :)

I was surprised at the result.

Given it's design, I was sure it could fail given the proper sized pebble or similar sized debris to foul the mechanism... However with relatively clean snow? I too am shocked at how easily it jammed with just snow.

Nice follow up!

Top Bottom