• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Minor Olight problem - How easy to get repair?

esrice has been letting me use the Olight Warrior around my house. In a recent power outage it was my constant companion until power was restored 22 hours later. It worked very well. :yesway:

In the last few days, I've been having difficulty getting the light to work. It would briefly flash when I hit the tail switch, but wouldn't stay on and often wouldn't work at all.

I tried fresh batteries with no change. I even read the manual (loose my man card for a day...)! I cleaned all the threaded connections since the manual said that is sometimes the issue. No improvement.

I looked on the Olight site and found their warranty statement, but no information about where to send it for repair. I found the internet site where it was purchased, but they had the warranty statement but no instructions for getting repairs done. I was not looking forward to having to make calls to find how to get it worked on. It was like they wanted to tout their warranty, but didn't really want to tell the customer how to use it.

The good news is; I spoke to esrice today and he had a brain flash. He had replaced the rubber tailcap button after his young son bit it off. :D He suggested I make sure the threaded disk that holds the switch assembly was tight. It takes a special tool to turn the disk properly and he didn't have it.

That was it! After rummaging through the kitchen gadget drawer and with help from Mrs. lovemywoods, we were able to tighten the disk and now the light is working again!

Fortunately, I didn't have to utilize the warranty process. However, I have my concerns that the customer service offered by this Chineese firm may be lacking. Let's hope I never have to really use it!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for the update Pop. :yesway:

He suggested I make sure the threaded disk that holds the switch assembly was tight. It takes a special tool to turn the disk properly and he didn't have it.

In regards to replacing the tailcap-- it appears that it takes a special tool, but I never could locate such a beast online. Therefore I was forced to use all manner of improvisation to get the job done. Doing so never left me feeling like I got a good seat on the couple layers of electronics. As you can see, it apparently wasn't tight enough to endure continued use.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Something like this might work as long as it wasn't too wide to fit inside the barrel of the tailcap.

418YY9MLuiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-2078900-Vise-Grip-2-Inch-Convertible/dp/B000JNRR0Y/ref=pd_cp_hi_3"]Amazon.com: Irwin 2078900 Vise-Grip 6-1/2-Inch Convertible Snap Ring Pliers: Home Improvement[/ame]

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    Awesome review!

I have an Olight M21 Warrior myself (just like the M20, but a more brighter/wider beam) and LOVE IT! I'm thinking about dropping another $120 to buy another...

Top Bottom