Review: HSGI "Taco" magazine pouch (LONG)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    As many of you know, I'm all about getting the most bang for the buck out of a piece of gear; the more versatile, the better. I also happen to utilize a variety of different long gun platforms on a regular basis, including AR and AK types, the Saiga-12 shotgun, and 9mm SBRs and SMGs.

I have an Eagle Industries plate carrier (for training classes, and of course the imminent Zombie Apocalypse) equipped with several of Specter Gear's Universal Magazine Pouches. The UMP is an expandable design with an adjustable velcro lid and an elastic retainer around the midsection. Each can accommodate up to (2) USGI AR mags, (1) PMAG, (1) AK mag, (2) 9mm SMG mags, or (1) Saiga-12 5- or 8-round mag. If the lid is tucked in or removed, oversize mags such as the 10-round Saiga-12 can be used. Happy days.

I also have an ATS "War Belt" that can be used in conjunction with or independently of the plate carrier. This accommodates my pistol holster, pistol mags, med kit, flashlight, dump pouch and a spare long gun mag. I wanted to have the same kind of universal capability with my belt-mounted long gun mag pouch as I did on the PC, but the Specter UMP was too long to fit properly on the belt and I wanted an open-top pouch anyway, so another solution was required.

For awhile, I used the shorty speed-reload pouch from Diamondback Tactical. It is a MOLLE rifle mag pouch with an open top and a low-cut design that exposes more of the mag, allowing it to be grasped quicker and easier than with traditional pouches. Mag retention is via a piece of shock cord with a nylon pull tab. While the DBT pouch was well-constructed and fit AR and AK mags quite well, it could not accommodate Saiga-12 or 9mm SMG mags, and I didn't really care for the shock cord retention. The search continued.

Then, High Speed Gear Inc. (HSGI) came out with their "Taco" magazine pouch, a supposedly universal design that could be adjusted on the fly to accommodate not only magazines as diverse as AR/AK/.308/subgun/pistol/Saiga, but a host of various other objects such as radios, suppressors, flashbangs and multi-tools; it could even be used as an improvised pistol holster. After reading several reviews on various gun/gear boards, I decided to give it a go. Ordered the pouch from SKD TACTICAL and had it in a few days.

I didn't think to take any "before" photos, so here is the stock one from SKD's site:
    HSG.227-2.jpg

The Taco pouch is basically a U-shaped kydex frame wrapped with a piece of 1000d Cordura to form the front and back, and the assembly is held together with a piece of shock cord woven through the MOLLE loops on the outside in a crisscross manner, with the ends terminating in a cord-lock at the bottom rear of the pouch. The kydex insert guides and helps retain the magazine, while the shock cord allows the pouch to expand or contract as necessary, and the cord lock allows the cords to be tightened down once the mag is in place, further assisting retention.

Sizing of the Taco is almost identical to the DBT shorty speed-reload pouch, so it fit into the empty slot on my War Belt without needing to move any of my other gear around. :yesway:

Installing the Taco, was, to put it mildly, a colossal pain in the ass. :xmad: The install demo video on HSGI's website was helpful in theory, but the actual practice did not go NEARLY as smoothly. The problem stems from HSGI's use of MALICE clips for attachment (they are semi-rigid plastic strips with locking ends; they don't have a lot of "give" or pliability, making threading difficult), combined with very tight MOLLE loops on the pouch itself, and trying to thread the MALICE clip through said tight loops, which are also partially occupied by the running piece of shock cord. :n00b: On the up-side, you can fold, spindle, mutilate and otherwise abuse both the pouch and the MALICE clips without damaging them, which is good because you'll probably need to!

After much moaning, wailing and gnashing of teeth (and a liberal dose of profanity), I finally got the thing on, and took some pics:

taco_top.jpg

From the top

taco_close.jpg

From the side, showing the U-shaped kydex insert that forms the sides and bottom of the pouch

taco_PMAG.jpg

AR mag

taco_AK74.jpg

AK-74 mag

taco_SMG.jpg

Dual 9mm subgun mags (when one mag is removed, you just tighten down the cord-lock and the pouch will retain a single mag)

taco_saiga.jpg

Saiga-12 8rd AGP mag

taco_glock.jpg

Glock 23 (front) and 22 (rear) mags; I would only use this to carry mags for back-filling my regular pistol mag pouches; the mags (especially the G19/23 size) sit way too deep in the pouch to be easily extracted under stress.

PROS - small size, accommodates a wide variety of mags and other devices, on-the-fly adjustability

CONS - PITA to install, mags can be somewhat difficult to re-insert (especially oversized mags like the Saiga, or mags with projections on the front or back like the AK), and the pouch is friggin' ugly! :):

And no, I didn't try putting an actual taco in there, but one would probably fit. :laugh:

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Looks like an SKS mag should fit, how do you think it would work?

I would actually prefer to use the fixed mag, but I think in order to keep my gun 922r compliant I'm going to have to use interchangeable American made mags :(

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Looks like an SKS mag should fit, how do you think it would work?

The TAPCO SKS mag would likely fit, but you'd have to carry it with the "duckbill" part up. This could cause conflicts with any other pouches or gear that may be mounted nearby, and would not be the optimum position for a quick, smooth extraction from the pouch or insertion into the gun.

I would actually prefer to use the fixed mag, but I think in order to keep my gun 922r compliant I'm going to have to use interchangeable American made mags :(

I would take a hard look at my gun setup and parts count status, and do whatever I had to in order to still be able to use the foreign fixed mag. Then you could just carry ammo on stripper clips, which would be much easier to deal with than the funky detachable mags.

MHO.

Also, for those of you who tend to run a variety of pistols in addition to a variety of long guns, HSGI now offers their "Double-Decker Taco," which features a universal pistol mag pouch piggybacked onto the regular Taco.

DDT2w.jpg

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Mark,

Quick question for this item. I have the HSGI quad pistol mag pouch and had planned on buying 2 of the Taco's for a war belt and then attach the quad to those. Is there enough realestate on the Taco's for this?

If you can not give me a good indication I could always bring it by Bradis if you ever have the taco there.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Thanks as always for a good review Mark. I'm putting together a "war belt" set up to replace my normal duty belt set up for when I have my warrant service/tac gear on. I had been looking for a pouch that could pull multi-duty as well: handgun mag pouch, rifle mag pouch, maybe TASER X26 pouch, maybe radio pouch for a Motorola XTS500. Ideally, I wanted to set my belt up in a way that I could transition it from LE service to range time without moving any pouches. I thought I was either going to have to give up ghost or try and open top M14 pouch and mod it to fit. You might have done all my research for me!

Top Bottom