• ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    As I posted in this thread:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/121330-review_streamlight_tlr-2_a.html

I'm building a new varmint gun for the Ranch.

The Streamlight TLR-2 didn't work out so well on the M&P 15-22 as I write in the link above, so I ordered the Lasermax Uni-Max Micro:
    Uni-Max® Micro - Smallest, Most Lightweight Rail Mount Laser

I got it off an Amazon vendor for about $125 shipping included.

I got it in yesterday and was pouring concrete and hanging drywall all day yesterday and this morning, so I only played with it a bit yesterday and got it mounted on the M&P 15-22 today. I haven't yet sighted it in.

Some first impressions:

MAN this thing is tiny! It disappeared on my Walther PPS. I was afraid I'd misplace it last night so I left it clamped to the Walther. The picture of it next to a Quarter does not do it justice.

It claims as much as 5 hours on a 1/3 N battery. I wasn't real thrilled with the battery cover. It's true you don't have to remove it from the gun to change, but I could see some very rough handling resulting in the loss of the cover. They do sell replacement covers. I doubt it would get lost under normal handling though.

It taps on and off, either side, and once tapped will stay on for 10 min unless tapped off. The way it works it might get tapped on occasionally in a soft holster if you leaned against it, but a good quality leather or kydex holster wouldn't activate it. A moot issue for me since it'll be on a long gun next to the door. Mounted on the bottom rail of the 15-22 it's in a perfect place to hit with my finger, though it will ultimately ride the top rail as I write below.

The dot is not as bright as the dot on the TLR-2, about a third as bright. I suspect though that at night out to a hundred yards it'll be plenty bright.

The best news for me though is where it sits relative to the axis of the bore of the 15-22. The TLR-2 laser is 2-5/8" from the axis of the bore which makes for quite a lot of shift in point of aim between 20 and 50'. Yeah, an inch or two shift does make that much difference to me when I am trying to hit a fast moving small target at night when I just woke up.

The Lasermax laser sits 1.5" from the axis of the bore on the 15-22 which will make it much more on point at the varying distances that I need to shoot varmints. Even better is that because of the low profile and small size, I can move the front BUIS on the 15-22 back a couple of notches and still be able to use it for daylight shooting, while the TLR-1 that now sits on my AR15 will ride the bottom rail. This I think will give me a pretty good short range small varmint/squirrel gun.

If I were a laser on a pistol kinda guy, I'd say this is a very good option for one given how small it is, and it's much cheaper than its larger brother.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Range report:

It is now mounted on the top rail of the 15-22 forward of the front sight. I really like it! I have it zeroed for 50' and at 20' POI was 3/4" lower, so at my typical enemy engagement ranges it'll be well under an inch POI high or low.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom