• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    In the same vein of Esrice and LoveMyWoods, here is a review I hope that will be of somewhat close details and quality!

Review: Primary Arms Illuminated 3x9x40 riflescope/mount

Short Palmetto State Armory complete rifle build review; FN ‘machine gun steel’ upper, Spike’s trigger Group and ‘Classic’ lower parts kit from Palmetto.

[FONT=&quot]To begin, my original intent was simply to build an inexpensive ‘coyote gun’. Looking back, Palmetto offers floated, fluted and longer barreled uppers and I should have chosen one of those offerings. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The 16”, to my surprise has been a good shooter, comparable to other rifles I have owned and played with over the years. I installed the Yankee Hill Machine (YHM) low profile gas black in an effort to increase accuracy. And, I have to add that I plan to purchase a free float handguard for this upper very soon. It will have an end rail to mount a bipod on it too. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I’m expecting pretty good things from this rifle. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I’m not much of a riflescope person. I’m not very successful with an Aimpoint, (although I own one) or a riflescope due to my eyesight. (double astigmatism) I’m an Eotech guy. It offers great field of view and I’m not focusing, and straining to acquire quickly, a small dot through a small diameter tube. I just don’t focus well enough to be quick with them. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]That being said, I like this scope. It offers pretty good eye relief, and even with the scope dialed up to x9 I find the eye relief fairly easy to get used to. It is a 30mm tube with a 40mm objective. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This was a quick range trip today. My main purpose was to test fire the build to ascertain whether or not the gas block was indexed correctly and to get the rifle dialed in. In both veins, I was successful! I have to admit, I forgot the real targets I had planned to use! I wanted to use a 4 square dialing target to check for proper movement and zero return; but, Murphy’s Law is always waiting for the willing. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The scope came packaged as this: [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    2011-09-22125041.jpg
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here is the primary arms $25.00 mount. I feel it is simple, OK, and may do the job for a while. I’ll be finding out once I start hauling, wielding and hunting 4 legged victims soon enough![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    2011-09-22131516.jpg
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The dials on the scope are easy to grip, have audible and gritty clicks that can be felt, very positive. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    2011-09-30094604.jpg
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here is the scope and rifle. I have to add that the rifle is more than I expected. For a price that I am simply amazed to at, I feel I received a very good deal on a quality set of parts and products… hands down. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    2011-09-30093903.jpg
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    2011-09-30093810.jpg
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The upper is a mid-length build. The only parts not ‘labeled’ Palmetto, is the Spike’s trigger group I installed and the low pro gas block. (and the Primary Arms scope)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The scope itself is clear. I viewed many scopes, handled many and toyed with the idea of buying many before I read reviews of the scope in question here on another forum. It feels as sturdy as the Nikon’s I held, looks just as clear (to me) and I felt like I was getting a decent quality product for the price. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here is the view sitting on the (only) sandbag I had the rifle was setting on. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    2011-09-30094129.jpg
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I feel the large nut will cause problem. Simply put, it is what it is, a Chinese product. I don’t feel, after field use and time coupled with recoil, that the mount will stay put. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here is the view through the scope at 3x and illuminated. The illumination would not stand out on a bright sunny day. It covers the mil-dots very nicely and I don’t see and splash of red or discoloration where the crosshairs are not covered. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    2011-09-30094314.jpg
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here is the scope, dialed up to x9. I discovered that there was a rise in point of impact as the magnification was increased. It was (guestimation) around 3/8’ or so, turning the dial from 3x to 9x. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    2011-09-30094218.jpg
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Initially, the scope was pretty much on in windage. I only had to dial 5 clicks left to set the windage in the end. The elevation required more. I ended with around 16 elevation clicks from factory placing. I was surprised. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]To conserve on ammo, I actually used CCI Minimags high velocity ammo. I didn’t want to spend 12$ on .223 to get the thing dialed in. So, I got the thing close and then switched to PMC 55gr. .223. I don’t plan on hunting with factory ammo from PMC; but, I have not purchased any Hornady or other varminting .223 ammo yet. (who has all the money?$$$)[/FONT]

Targets
    [FONT=&quot]The targets were handmade, due to a logistics error on my part. (please don’t laugh, I was desperate!) The triangle I made to shoot, point of aim, at the pinnacle of the triangle. That way I could see point of impact. I had one major flyer to the left; but, as I settled in and starting a good routine you can see how the 2nd round of PMC hit lower right. Then I dialed up, dialed up again, etc. etc. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Once the POI was about 1.5” or so from the point of the triangle I stopped. I then moved the stand and target out to 50 yards to get closer. Once I felt the scope was dialed in at 50, then set to trying a little program I established. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I ran the scope up to x9. At 50 yards, and 20 rounds in the magazine, I fired 5 rounds at x9 magnification. I then dialed the scope down to x6, fired five more. Lastly, I emptied the magazine at x3. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I had a few fliers due to my poor shooting platform on the bench. I only had one sandbag; and, was working to actually rest the receiver and NOT the handguards or barrel on it. This caused swaying left and right. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Spike’s trigger group is definitely not match, or a Giessler, but I feel I shot pretty decent for stock parts. Here is a total of 20 rounds at x9, x6 and x3 setting on the scope. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    2011-09-30102259.jpg
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]For what you receive, the scope is very functional, not NCStar and priced to sell. I like it. I just hope it will last the hunting season. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Palmetto is offering some seriously nice parts, equipment and now rifles for the price point. I’m hoping to get in on another! [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have to show this: here is a nice pile of brass! The mid-length rifle dumped brass consistently in the same spot, every time. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Gotta love it!

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]*********************************************
    Original thread here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...y_arms_3x9x40_illum_scope_palmetto_rifle.html
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom