• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I have been looking for quite some time for a pen with a good strong clip on it that I can use to carry a pen in my pocket. Most pens come with flimsy clips not meant to be used on anything except a shirt pocket. My problem is the only ones I could find were "Tactical Pens" that either had sharp teeth or cost a fortune.

I believe I found one that provides what I was looking for.

Schrade Tactical Pen

• Overall Length: 5.7" (14.5 cm)
    • CNC machined 6061 Airorated Aluminum
    • German Hauser Parker Ball point pen refill (black ink)
    • Type III hard anodized
    • Made in Taiwan
    • $23
    Overview:

The machining on the outside of the pen is more than acceptable, especially for a pen I intend to beat the heck out of. The size is nice, but I probably would have preferred it be about 1/2" shorter to fit better in my pocket. I think it is a very nice looking, well built pen that doesn't look like a weapon.

The Good:

Nice machining on outside
    Attractive
    Rugged
    Removable clip that is very strong
    Doesn't look like a weapon, probably won't be confiscated by TSA
    Very reasonably priced

The Not-so-Good:

Clip is too close to body of pen. If you try to clip it on thick pants, it pushes the clip so it points out away from you. I fixed this with some pliers.

The grooves on the gripping area are a tad too aggressive for me. They are much more rounded on the pink version.

The threads for the cap/body aren't all that clean. It would also benefit greatly by having a rubber o-ring to make them mate better and not make that nasty aluminum on aluminum scraping sound.

DSCN0583.jpg

DSCN0582.jpg

DSCN0581.jpg

DSCN0585.jpg

These pictures show the original clip (pink) and how I bent it out so it fits well on my pants.

DSCN0586.jpg

DSCN0584.jpg

Specialized

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 97.8%
    87   2   1
    Jan 26, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Good review! A quick question or two, if you don't mind: First, what kind of ink is it, ball-point or roller-ball? Second, is it refillable, i.e., can you use Cross or Fisher or Bic cartridges in it? And lastly, is it a smooth or bead-blasted finish (looks smooth from the photos, but I can't tell)? Thanks!

Specialized

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    It uses a Hauser ball point pen refill. I know the Fisher refills fit it (I think SPR4), but am not sure about others.

The grey version is a matte finish and the pink is glossy. I prefer the matte as the glossy just feels strange. Sorry, I can't really explain why, it just does.

Top Bottom