• Status
    Not open for further replies.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I had been surfing ar15.com a few weeks ago and saw a thread mentioning a major clearance sale at Spec-Ops webstore. So, I decided to head over there to check it out.

I ended up buying one of their OD green M.O.U.T. chest rigs and 2 double pistol mag pouches for a song. The price was litearlly so good I figured it must be some sort of scam, and almost didn't click the "buy" button.

The product can be found here, and is listed at their regular price.

M.O.U.T. Rig, Military Operations on Urban Terrain | M.O. U. T. Gear | SPEC.-OPS Tactical Gear

M-9 Magazine Pouch | Tactical & Magazine Pouches | SPEC.-OPS Tactical Gear

I used this rig for the first time today at the PD Carbine II training course. I'm not a gear expert by any means, and this is only my 3rd chest rig. My two previous set-ups were a full blown tac vest, which, while making me look like a tacticool mall ninja, really didn't meet my needs and was more bulk than function. The second was a Vietnam era LBV that actually works very well, which makes sense since it was military issue for a number of years.

DSC04392.jpg

Pros:
    • Very light weight, and very simple to operate, with just a few straps to connect and size.
    • For its size, it has very good capacity (8 AR Mags, and MOLLE straps on the front for more add ons). That compares well to many other larger rigs, that usually have 4-8 magazine capacity
    • The MOLLE straps on the front mean you can configure it to accept other items. I decided to put the double pistol mag pouches on the two attachment points on my left, so as to leave the right 1/2 of the gear open so my rifle would hang freely when slung.
    Cons:
    • Straps are narrow (1") and do tend to dig in, especially when the gear is loaded to capacity.
    • Adjustments mean there is usually a buckle or adjuster that falls right across the top of the shoulder, making the digging in worse
    • When loaded, is front heavy and pulls away from your body instead of hugging it closely. This is maily due to the lower strap location, which is to the very bottom of the rig. It would benefit from a "Y" strap to each side that connected to the top and bottom of the carrier to help hold it flush to the shooter's chest
    • Because of its design to hold 8 AR mags (2 per pocket) single mags are a bit loose, and will fall out if you lean forward and don't have the retention straps over them. This is something I can look past, since I was running it at partial capacity.
    All and all, it is a decent rig. I'm tickled pink for what I paid for it. I probably wouldn't buy another one at full retail. I think there are better chest rigs out there for that money. But, if one were on sale again, I would definitely buy again.

I'm going to see if I can find some pads for the straps, to help with the digging in. If I can find them, this will probably be my main gear, with the milsurp LBV being back-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom