• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    The part under review: Grip Overlay Panels Tech Custom.

picture.php

I recently purchased a Ruger MK III 22/45 and as usual I just can't leave something alone. It was basically a spur of the moment purchase and honestly I would have done it a little different if I could do it all over again. My reason for saying I would do it different is that I would have purchased the 22/45 with replaceable grip panels if I would have done my homework ahead of time.

I don't know if I purchased the OD Green or the Dark Green....although I think they look OD. I purchased them directly, in person from Dominique, the owner of TT Custom and just picked them out never asking the color. I also got Red and Black. All three of my sets are the rubberized models.

First Impression: off the gun these look homemade.....but really nicely homemade....Then I remembered the price of $18 and that made them look even better. Now that being said, they look very good on the gun, nearly factory.

The feel: Very nice! These make the gun feel just like my 1911, and that was the goal.

Installation: Not as easy as I expected. The video on his website is very accurate, but I would go ahead and start with an even smaller drill bit, and also I would have used a tap if I had the correct size. A very sharp drill bit is a must. The diamond texture on the factory grip makes it hard to drill without the bit walking, and also the factory plastic is much harder then I expected. Being that I'm a machinist and fabricator it made me a little over confident and I wish I would have slowed down a bit.... I've got one screw thats a little off, but not bad.

I also purchased the longer base pads. I purchased RED since I know my friends new to shooting and younger kids will shoot this gun the most. The red makes it easier for me to know when the mag is in the gun. The base pads are finished with very square edges, but fit and function perfectly. I plan to smooth them out a little when I get time.

Would I purchase more of these grips, or recommend them to a friend: YES

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Good review. I have the same grips and have to agree with your assessment. Newer Ruger Mk III 22/45 models can use any standard 1911 replacement grip panels. The earlier Mk II & III 22/45s didn't have the replaceable panels and only a few were brave enough to grind down the sides to use the 1911 panels.

If you have the earlier 22/45s and feel that the grip is too thin, then I recommend these panels. They appear to be the only reasonably easy solution to get your gun feeling more like the standard 1911 grip and the rubberized panels are very comfortable as well.

Last edited:

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Great review. I didn't do my research either before I purchased my Mkiii 22/45 or I would've gotten the one with the panels that could be replaced. This looks like a good option. Thanks for putting the review together.

Top Bottom