• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Over the next several weeks I'll be reviewing several training DVDs from Thunder Ranch, as taught by instructor Clint Smith. I will also include a few miscellaneous titles that are certainly a generation removed from the current "high speed" offerings.

5be9a8.jpg

Titles include:

• Thunder Ranch: Defensive Firearms
    • Thunder Ranch: Defensive Shotgun
    • Thunder Ranch: Defensive Revolver
    • Jeff Cooper: A Man in Full
    • Gunsite: Tactics for Self Defense
    You can read more about Clint Smith and Thunder Ranch here:

Thunder Ranch® Oregon & Thunder Ranch® Texas

Thunder Ranch® Oregon Director

ztxidx.jpg

Defensive Firearms is a 2-disc set, with Disc 1 lasting 37 minutes and Disc 2 lasting 52 minutes (plus some bonus material). It is shot in an almost conversational style with Clint Smith being the exclusive 'actor'. Its essentially like having a conversation with CS for an afternoon. Parts take place outdoors, indoors, and some parts are shot on the range for some demos. I found the title to be somewhat misleading, as he not only covers a variety of firearms, but also delves into more topics like mindset and tactics. Most of these concepts are presented with lecture, and not by demonstration (the firearm demos are, however).

Disc 1 starts with CS's take on the 4 Firearms Safety Rules. He then hits on aspects of target considerations like distance, time, and marksmanship. He covers target conditions and other considerations. I found the section on mental conditioning to be quite good, focusing on visualization, 'what ifs', and avoidance. He also briefly covers Cooper's Color Codes of Awareness. He wraps up Disc 1 with a section on Tactics, where he goes over cover and concealment.

Disc 2 moves indoors to cover gun selection. He speaks on handgun calibers, rifle calibers, ammo quality, polymer handguns, revolvers, rifle types, and the various actions of each.

Its very obvious that CS is "old school" and has an affinity for wheel guns. I like that the recurring theme throughout the DVD is using the gun you have NOW, regardless of what type it is. "Possession does not equal competency" was reiterated several times. "Shoot your guns!" was also heard often.

Disc 2 also contained a few bonus segments:​

• Pistol grip & stance
    • Pistol loading
    • Pistol places
    • Malfunction clearance
    I found this DVD to be a great primer covering several aspects of gun ownership. This would be a great video for the gun owner who has never taken any kind of training, but finds the idea interesting.

jgruw3.jpg

A Man in Full is a simple and well-done documentary on the life of the late Jeff Cooper. Its about 45 minutes long and includes interviews of friends, family, and business associates of Lt. Col. Cooper. It is also packed with some really cool pictures from the era that can arguably be called the "birth of modern handgunning".

In this day of Magpul and polymer we shouldn't forget those who came before us and paved the way. This video is a great tribute to a great man. Never have I felt like my life was dull and boring until I saw just how much life Cooper was able to pack into his 80+ years. :) Many probably do not realize that MANY of the tenants we discuss right here on INGO were first codified by Cooper. He truly was the "Father of Modern Handgunning".

I would recommend this video to anyone who appreciates firearms, history, biographies, and good stories. The one about the Cape Buffalo hunt on his 70th birthday is worth it alone. ;)

More to come later as I have the chance to review the other titles.

:ingo:

Last edited:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Excellent!

I've considered buying these for years, but was always to afraid to spend the $$$ in case they weren't up to snuff.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've considered buying these for years, but was always to afraid to spend the $$$ in case they weren't up to snuff.

They don't have near the "high speed" production quality as some of the new stuff, but the information is good, solid, salt-of-the-Earth type stuff. CS appears to be an excellent teacher.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    but was always to afraid to spend the $$$ in case they weren't up to snuff.

Up to snuff? Dude, it's Clint Smith, he invented snuff.:laugh: "I painted the signs".:D

Disc 1 starts with CS's take on the 4 Firearms Safety Rules.

It is not his "take". Those are the Four Rules. Remember where he got them and that he was the one who painted the signs.

Yeah, there's no ubercool tactical facial hair, no crap on the gun, no hopping around doing the Range Macarena, and no loud thrash metal to shoot by but it is a wisdom that took four decades, several bullet wounds and lots of pain to accumulate. Listen up, before you set yourself on fire and get a big boo boo bunny.:cool:

CS appears to be an excellent teacher

There are many instructors, especially in this Charge of the 300, there are very few teachers--Clint Smith is one.

Last edited:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I must a agree with Kirk. Any material from Mr Smith is worth while. I do believe that even Clint would agree that dvd's,books or youtube videos are no substitute for quality instruction. A tremendous adjunct to any training regimen, but no substitute.

TheAutomator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    I have 'Urban Rifle' and 'Defensive Pistol.' When you're finished writing reviews for yours, if you don't mind, I'll chime in with reviews on those.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Its very obvious that CS is "old school" and has an affinity for wheel guns. I like that the recurring theme throughout the DVD is using the gun you have NOW, regardless of what type it is. "Possession does not equal competency" was reiterated several times. "Shoot your guns!" was also heard often.

I recently ran some drills using my J frame as the primary and weak hand BUG. Ha ha, I got a dose of "Possession does not equal competency." I did come around nicely with some top notch instruction (from Coach,) but my initial cold shooting was quite poor.

Is anyone else doing revolver training? I'm thinking some study in this area would be beneficial to most. Lots of folks talk about all their uber cool guns and gear, then end up running to the quick mart with J frame in pocket.

Besides that, when you are with me needing a firearm, the J frame is what you will be handed. 5 shots with 10 more in speed strips.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Clint Smith pretty much invented the concept of the "urban rifle," wherein a rifle is specifically used for close quarters engagements. Yeah, people used rifles at contact range for years before (mostly because it's what they had in their hands at the time), but he's the one who birthed the idea and the foundations for the techniques and tactics used today.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Is anyone else doing revolver training? I'm thinking some study in this area would be beneficial to most.

Yes.

I started on wheel guns (Smiths) back when the Dead Sea was still perfectly healthy, and I start all my NRA Basic Pistol students on revolvers, because they can be loaded down to extremely light levels--little muzzle blast or recoil, and the long (smooth!) DA trigger pull helps beginners with learning trigger control.

Nothing at all wrong with a revolver, except limited capacity and slower reloads--unless it is Jerry Miculek!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    [/LEFT]

Is anyone else doing revolver training? I'm thinking some study in this area would be beneficial to most. Lots of folks talk about all their uber cool guns and gear, then end up running to the quick mart with J frame in pocket.

Besides that, when you are with me needing a firearm, the J frame is what you will be handed. 5 shots with 10 more in speed strips.

This is an interesting point that up until now I've never considered. In this thread I was reading along, OK, skimming along saying to myself "blah, blah, blah" during the revolver parts because I don't own a revolver:n00b:. Then bwframe says the quoted part above. Well, I can think of 3 friends I know that carry a revolver as their BUG or pocket gun, and odds are NOT remote that one of the guns in an altercation that I may find myself picking up to use could be a revolver. Silly not to know how to run one, and that would be a fun class even if I have no plans on owning one.

:ingo:

Top Bottom