• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    How often, if ever, should one take off the side plate of a revolver and degrease/clean the internals? I've been putting a couple drops of gun oil into it every 2-3 range trips (I clean the rest of the gun after every trip) and working the action to make sure everything stays lubed, but I wasn't sure if the internals needed a thorough cleaning every so often. If this is something that needs to be done, is it something I should try as a novice or should I take it to an actual gunsmith? Thanks in advance.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I usually detail clean mine once a year. Most of the revolvers out there never see a detail strip and work just fine.

The procedure and difficulty will vary depending on the brand of revolver. You need to be careful about launching springs, bending pins, scratching & gouging things. There are plenty of videos out there showing the procedure. Have a good screwdriver set that properly fits the screws.

What revolver are you dealing with?

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I usually detail clean mine once a year. Most of the revolvers out there never see a detail strip and work just fine.

The procedure and difficulty will vary depending on the brand of revolver. You need to be careful about launching springs, bending pins, scratching & gouging things. There are plenty of videos out there showing the procedure. Have a good screwdriver set that properly fits the screws.

What revolver are you dealing with?

A cheap one. :) RIA M206

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    A cheap one. :) RIA M206

I'm not familiar with that one. May want to check out youtube, they might have a video on it. If I was a Smith I could show you what to look out for. I'm not far from you, Randolph Co, and I'm about to do a full detail strip on 3 J frames. A good cleaning and some spring replacements.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I'm not familiar with that one. May want to check out youtube, they might have a video on it. If I was a Smith I could show you what to look out for. I'm not far from you, Randolph Co, and I'm about to do a full detail strip on 3 J frames. A good cleaning and some spring replacements.

There is a video on YouTube. ONE video. It seems like only the spring for the indexing arm would be a possible problem. I just wasn't sure if it was something I should do or not. It seems, from my limited experience, that this gun (and possibly less expensively made guns in general) require more maintenance. For example, if I don't clean the chambers well enough after shooting it, the casings stick the next range trip. While my dad's Ruger Service Six went hundreds of rounds without being cleaned and functioned flawlessly. I thought maybe the internals would need similar TLC. Just wanted to know what I should do to keep it running well as it's my EDC (and currently my only handgun). I've got about 1000 through it at this point. Thought that might be a good benchmark to clean the inside.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    There is a video on YouTube. ONE video. It seems like only the spring for the indexing arm would be a possible problem. I just wasn't sure if it was something I should do or not. It seems, from my limited experience, that this gun (and possibly less expensively made guns in general) require more maintenance. For example, if I don't clean the chambers well enough after shooting it, the casings stick the next range trip. While my dad's Ruger Service Six went hundreds of rounds without being cleaned and functioned flawlessly. I thought maybe the internals would need similar TLC. Just wanted to know what I should do to keep it running well as it's my EDC (and currently my only handgun). I've got about 1000 through it at this point. Thought that might be a good benchmark to clean the inside.

I saw this video:
    [video=youtube;25KeFV0Wkkc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25KeFV0Wkkc[/video]

It shows how to do it, but there are several things he did that I (and many others) do not agree with.

First off, he should have not taken the mainspring out of the grip area first. Leave it alone for now.

Second, DO NOT take a screw driver and pry off the side plate. Remove the screws (and the cylinder). Set the screws in a place so you know which screw came out of which hole. You want them to go back in the same place.

Third, take the handle of your screwdriver and tap on the frame of the gun where the grips would be. This will cause the side plate to pop off after a few good taps.

At this point the side is open. Your best bet to avoid loosing parts is to take a can of gun scrubber and spray it out, being careful not to knock any parts out of it. They shouldn't fall out on their own but be careful anyway. Once it's clean then apply a light coating of quality gun oil.

Place the side plate back on and insert screws and grip. You shouldn't have to take the mainspring out at all for cleaning like this.

Since you aren't really removing any parts it's a simple operation. I would do this anywhere between 500 to 1000 rounds depending on the quality of ammo and how dirty it is. Once a year if you don't shoot that much.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Just always remember what was told to me once: Revolvers will tolerate neglect forever, but tolerate almost no abuse.

This was related to me AFTER I figured out how to reassemble the first SAA I ever fully DISassembled.

No fun.

-Nate

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    +1 on using the appropriate tools. A set of gun smith screw drivers goes a long way to preventing boogered up screws. They fit, and they have square sides/edges. Appropriate tool for the appropriate job.

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    Some great tips here thanks fellas. My S&W 13-2 started acting up in 2015 after thousands of rounds and over thirty years after I removed it from the factory box. Just external cleaning up to that point. A great range officer gently suggested I clean it, and it has been flawless as usual since. I will probably put it on the five year plan. Oh yeah watch your springs, I had a flyer that took some real sleuthing to find.

Carey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Mentone
    Like most people I try not to neglect my guns. I have found that it works best for me if I clean them right after I use them or I'll for get to do it. I figure if it is clean then it will work good when I need it.

Top Bottom