• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I now have several good ideas and places to start looking.

It really is sad that he is worried about the bad guys when he walks on the community grounds and hallways. Our mayor has said that all the violence recently has been from domestic violence or drug gang situations, so he thinks the rest of us are safe. Just proves he is out of touch. This senior community is very concerned about life in the southeast quadrant of the Fort. Residents are moving out of this community to the newer facility on the north side of town and new residents are not interested in this fine facility because of the location—SE Fort Wayne.

But, it is what it is. Thanks, again, for you help. Stay safe y'all.

I completely understand you and your father's concerns. I would also like to add that younger citizens in the area are just as concerned. It drives my wife and I insane that we live in SE. We want to move badly. We have lived here for 8 years, the crime has increased every year it seems around this area.

JBTate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    S.E. Indiana
    Just have to figure out the legalities of the senior community first.

Would be the absolute LAST thing on my mind.
    Find the proper weapon and have him keep it well concealed and not even let his best friend in the place know of it. Hopefully it's never an issue, but if something does go terribly wrong and he needs it, I doubt there would be single witness that saw him with it.
    Best of luck to you and your father.

MolonLabe7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Muncie
    I would write some of these options down and take him to your local gunshop and have him decide which one is most comfortable. I'm sorry to hear that your father's neighborhood is going down hill... happens more and more these days.

Stay safe

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    On occasion, I run across an older S&W revolver in .32 while perusing gun shops.

Some of them, while aged, are still in good functional and cosmetic condition, with the classic Smith "look" to boot.

Because of being chambered for the now unpopular .32 cartridge, and not being a heavy duty collector's item, they can sometimes be found at a reasonable $. I have been tempted by them on occassion myself.

I think one of these in good condition would be right up your father's alley.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I carried an SP101 for a security job at one time. Liked it a whole lot better than the issue S&W M10 or the worn-out Colts we were issued in the Guard.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I carried an SP101 for a security job at one time. Liked it a whole lot better than the issue S&W M10 or the worn-out Colts we were issued in the Guard.

In 38 I personally prefer the Smith k frames. You get one extra round vs the Ruger and I feel there double action trigger is much better. Where the Ruger really shines is it's fairly unique combination of size and weight. It generally feels significantly heavier than other compact revolvers while still maintaining a very concealable profile. Couple his with 327 caliber and you are back to a 6 shot capacity, factory loads that have power and recoil that range from being nearly as soft shooting as a 22 to nearly as rowdy as a 357.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    JFYI, Ruger has dropped production of the SP101 in .327 mag for now.

I'd be surprised if the GP100 in this chambering didn't follow suit sometime soon.

Several online dealers have 327 in stock - an indication that demand for it is lowish.

Out of 4,138,074 posts on INGO, only about 129 have anything to do with the .327 mag.

Sorry to say it, but none are encouraging indicators for the future of this niche cartridge.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Look at the liability if you make it so he has a gun.

The advice to not tell if he has a gun is not good. My first wife was a RN having worked in a number of retirement communities. She always knew what the people living there had or were doing. A lot of the homes have rules about firearms and keeping them there. A firearm could get them kicked out with out any notice.

One of the tip-up .380's might be best as he would not have to rack the slide. A good .22 mag might be a good revolver as it would have a lower chance of going through several walls if he had to shoot. You have to also take into account that one of the "not all there" guys could get their hands on it and shoot several of the old people thinking he was back in combat.

Top Bottom