• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bw8755

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    South Bend
    Just got my first first rifle (AR15). Just wondering what the law says regarding transport of rifles compared to handguns (which I have my lifetime LTCH).

Obviously I'm not going to wander the streets with it slung over my shoulder, but are there any rules in IN about transport, specifically the case and loaded/unloaded, action open, full/empty mags, etc.? Just wondering about trips to range/friends property, etc.

Anyone familiar with transport across MI state line? My father lives in lower MI and owuldn't mind going up to his property to shoot. I would think for MI I would need to keep the ammo & gun separate, action open, mag empty?

Thanks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    NRA-ILA :: Gun Laws

This link should take you to a US map where you can pick the state where you can read that particular state's laws. Also, on top left there is a link that shows inter-state reciprocity ie. what states honor licenses from other states.

Hope this helps.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    IIRC, Thre are no statutes in Indiana that regulate rifle transportation for residents in the state of Indiana. I would keep the Ammo and weapon seperate, and it's kind of hard to keep the action open with the AR family of rifles, as the slightest bump would release the Bolt Carrier assembly forward.

In all honesty, you should transport the rifle with the weapon unloaded, Bolt Carry Assembly released and the weapon on Fire, having the trigger pulled to release tension on the spring and firing pin.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    The requirement of a long gun needing to be unloaded is one of the factors that made me reconsider a shotgun as a "general purpose" gun as a car gun. You either have a slow-to-load gun, or you load it and violate the law.
    Same with most lever actions.

It's a lot easier to load a box magazine fed rifle like an AR15...or an M1 Garand for that matter.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The requirement of a long gun needing to be unloaded is one of the factors that made me reconsider a shotgun as a "general purpose" gun as a car gun. You either have a slow-to-load gun, or you load it and violate the law.

It's a lot easier to load a box magazine fed rifle like an AR15...or an M1 Garand for that matter.

Am I missing something? Do you have a source for the loaded rifle law?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland

You happen to know the statute that says this? I'm not doubting you or anything, but really didn't know this...

Edit To Add:
    NRA-ILA says:
    With the exceptions of limitations on carrying during
    game seasons, state law is silent on the issue of carrying
    rifles and shotguns.

Last edited:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    There is not a law saying that you cannot transport a long gun loaded.

When the highway "sniper" crap was going on, I kept one of my AR's locked and loaded in my work truck.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Am I missing something? Do you have a source for the loaded rifle law?

I have to say:
    I honestly can't find anything in writing now, so I'll have to retract that.
    I'll keep looking (I did read it, not hear it), but I'm a lot better at keeping proof that I can do something than proof that I can't!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Barry, not to worry, you are simply channeling Indiana's hunting regs as a criminal statute for all times you are not hunting. I get that a lot (be advised that some hunting regs do carry criminal penalties).

The requirement of a long gun needing to be unloaded

A hunting reg. Our friend is not hunting, merely going shooting at the range.

Jim Bob: "Centerfire rifles are illegal in Indiana."
    KSF: No, they are not, you just cannot hunt deer in many circumstances with them. Shoot your squirrel or coyote with a .270, but not your deer.

Bobby James: "You cannot 'conceal and carry' [my favorite phrase] with a loaded weapon."
    KSF: Did you read that in the IDNR Hunting and Trapping Regs booklet that you picked up at Wal-Mart?

Barry, no big deal. Guys get it confused all the time. It's when the coppers get it confused that worries me.:n00b:

but are there any rules in IN about transport, specifically the case and loaded/unloaded, action open, full/empty mags, etc

Rules? We have rules in this state?:lmfao:

Top Bottom