• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Buy a dedicated .22LR --AR. I've got a Spike's Tactical that I just love. Shoot all day, and feel Mall Ninja the whole time. j/k.

Get the new Colt. 22LR. Or a 10/22, you can buy any type of setup in the world for those. Including barrels that would put you at 200.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    OK I guess Ill chime in..... Im sure no one cares and that the AR/ glock guys are having a fit that you didnt give the AR an honorable mention...... But O-well

My advise Get an AK47. Every one should own one. If you want a trouble free AK just order one from henderson defense. Cheap and garenteed!! Mags are 9.99 at Aim surplus and ammo is 250 per 1000 at centerfire system. (free delivery)
    Heres an older post on inspecting an AK47 - https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/43082-how_to_inspect_an_ak47.html

And find yourself a Marlin 60 cheap (50-80$), reliable and accurate

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions and info! I had thought about going with the .22 because the ammo is so cheap and available. I've owned a 10/22 in the past and I currently have a S&W 22a pistol. I think really I'd like something bigger though. My favorite gun is my Remington 870 so I want a rifle with a little kick and some power behind it. It seems like after the .22 suggestion, several of you recommended the Mosin. Is there anything specific to look for/avoid when buying one? How difficult is the cosmoline to remove if I buy one from a store rather than a member here on INGO?

Jared, thanks for offering to let me shoot a few of your rifles. Hopefully we can find a time I can come up that way and take you up on the offer.

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    if you want the most versitility and bang for you buck get an ak47. there is a lot more you can do with it than a lever action

55spartan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Southern IN
    Ruger 10/22
    IMG_0348.jpg

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/143844-mosin_nagant_91_30s_at_mc_sports.html

Cosmoline is best removed by hot soapy water. There is a thread around here somewhere describing an action of a Mosin splitting, this is the exception rather than a rule, try to find one with matching numbers.

Now a little advice, this is from an OF that has made about all these mistakes. On any firearm you decided to purchase do some research. There are a lot of dogs out there. Gunbroker is a great place to find the value of a firearm. Do a search and find it then use the completed auction icon, it's in a drop down list, and see what it has actually sold for. On Mosins, yes you can find them for $79.95, but what are you going to get out of it if you don't like it. I've done this more than once, something gets my curiosity up, pay to much, only to lose interest and sell short. The best advice I've seen here is a rifle in .44 mag. because they can be used to deer hunt there's a ready made market , if it's just not your cup of tea. 30/30's are a common sight in pawnshops and with a little shopping have been found for as little as $150, watch the classifieds here. There are values out there, just don't save a dime on a purchase only to lose dollars when you sell. Yes I'd like to own a Mosin, I'm just a little recoil shy........:@ya:...Duce<><

Top Bottom