• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Saturday August 29, 10am-4pm. Using knockdown, animal shaped targets from 25-100 yards. Marksmanship based event, slow-fire, excellent starter event for young or new shooters, and challenging for skilled competitors. Any bolt or semi-auto is good to use, no need for hi-cap mags. Appleseed participants welcome, as are 4H youth. Rimfire ammo available for purchase at the match. Contact info can be here or on our website, www.rileycc.com. Thanks!!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    These are 1/5th scale normal RF Silhouettes, correct, Mr. Hawkeye?

If Riley uses the usual cast targets, anybody going needs to make sure they bring ONLY .22 LR standard velocity rifles. Use of WMR, WRM, HM2, HMR, or even .22 LR Stinger or other similar HV ammunition puts the targets at risk of damage.

Sorry if I am overstepping here, but this seems like a good thing to clarify and mention.

-Nate

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Thanks Nate,

We will shoot both 3/8 scale and 1/5 scale.

Allowable ammo is .22 standard velocity or "typical" high velocity up to 1250 fps. No 22 mag, no 17 anything, no hyper velocity 22 or Stingers.

New and young shooters are welcome and can shoot from whatever position they want. We want them to have fun and challenge themselves.

More skillful shooters can shoot 3/8 scale from each of the 4 positions: standing, sitting, standing with post support, prone. (40 round match)

We will also have 1/5 scale, that match can be fired from prone (also 40 rounds)

The $10 entry fee will get you a handful of sighters and 2 rounds of 40 targets each. You can shoot the 3/8 scale twice if you choose.

Any questions, give me a holler....

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I should add that spotting is allowed, so a husband-wife or dad-youth can team up and do a little coaching along the way. It takes about 40 minutes to shoot a full 40-round entry. Bring a spotting scope or good binocs. We're modeling this after a popular format they use at Jackson Purchase in Kentucky.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    We will have several 4H kids at this shoot, so if you have a youngster and want to shoot knockdowns at longer range, don't hesitate to bring them. Entry fee is $10 for adult, free for kids (with paid adult entry). Ammo to shoot this match is available for $7 per 100 rounds.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Another Sil. Shoot, I shot two matches at Danville, wow what a humbling experience. Well as luck would have it I just finished changing out scopes on both my .22 rifles, if I get my rifle zeroed before Sat I plan on making it to this match. Glad to see another club doing Silhouette.

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    No need to preregister, just come on out and shoot with us! There's no money or prizes on the line, so if you need to zero your scope at the last minute, we can accommodate that. The 4-position format throws a different twist on the 3/8 scale targets, and the 1/5 scale is just, well, humbling is the best word for it! Hence we let shooters go prone if they want to. We'd like to build a core group with some $$ payback for enticement and a bit more formal format, but we need participants to make it work.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Do you guys plan to have more of these? I'm not sure I can get a kitchen pass for two matches in one weekend, but would like to give it a try.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Twangbanger-I have a really crappy work schedule and work a lot of weekends, but the short answer is yes. Our next scheduled match is Saturday Oct 17. If there is enough interest, I can probably do one sooner, but right now the rifle events coincide with the pistol silhouette dates. Because we use rope reset targets, the match runs faster but the morning setup takes longer (to install the targets and run the ropes). If you've never shot on rope or air reset targets, you'll like it. A rifle only match can use squads and shotgun start, more efficient, and it keeps everyone involved with a lot less waiting between stages, but we would need 10-12 shooters and it would eliminate the flexibility of arriving late.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Thanks for responding...so just to make sure everyone is straight, are there going to be squads at this shoot? (Ie, do shooters need to arrive before the 10AM start to draw squads, or can they just show up during those times to shoot a casual round since it's not a "match?").

Thanks for your effort in putting on something different!

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    The pistol silhouette is pretty informal and since they coincide, the rifle match is also. You can arrive anytime between 10am & 2pm. Plan on 2 1/2 to 3 hours to observe a little and then shoot two rounds of 40 each. No squads at this event.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I just wanted to thank Rich out at Riley for a great match Saturday. It was a blast, little frustrating at times, but I was happy with my first outing at Silhouette! I went home with a full set of comeups for one of my rifles, so that's a productive day. It was good to see all the juniors in attendance. Not sure why it's not more popular, but I hope to catch you guys at another match someday. (I can see I'm going to be searching Midway.com for target knobs for all my rimfire scopes...).

Thanks for putting this on & keep it up.

Top Bottom