• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davidwilso78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2023
    Fishers
    Dude. Don't be that guy. Seriously. This is a terrible horrible no-good idea. Holster-less carry is dumb with a semi-auto. Especially striker-fired. Even with a (useless) manual safety.
    Still out for debate if I am that guy... I have one on my jframe and I am trying it out on my Shield... I don't know...kinda like it

davidwilso78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2023
    Fishers
    We drive to Northern Virginia multiple times a year. With my Indiana pink slip I'm legal in every state except mary-land . I do my very best to never exceed the speed limit or stop. So far, so good!
    By pink slip you mean the license to carry? From what I see it is only honored in about 32 states... Many in the NE area are the states that don't allow reciprocity

davidwilso78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2023
    Fishers
    subcompact 9mm. But with a low-capacity (10 rd) magazine when traveling through anti-2a states (and normal magazine otherwise.) Unloaded in locked case in truck when in anti-2a states. For New England, I try to spend time in New Hampshire & Maine, which are very pro-2a. And then drive straight through to Pennsylvania which is fairly pro-2a. Spend as little time as possible in all the others. With enough effort, you can avoid the rest, but unfortunately New York is unavoidable when driving. :(
    Another reason why I carry the single stacks or revolver... Under 10 rounds. Thanks for the answer!

davidwilso78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2023
    Fishers
    Op has a two part question.

1) what can you carry to New England states? Particularly New York
    2) what do I carry when traveling in the Midwest?

#1 - New York. Nothing really. I had to sterilize the car. I ended up taking an unloaded shotgun locked in a hard case with the ammo stored separately in a small ammo can. So I was effectively unarmed, but a gun did go in case of a zombie apocalypse. Also you can not have body armor and I would be careful with certain knives.

#2 - currently on a business trip. I have a small S&W CSX here in the hotel that I wear concealed. There is a Glock 26 locked in a safe in the truck as well as an 18” shotgun.
    NY is certainly the problem state... Going through the North on my way through and then NYC on the way back

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    My P220 Compact is 50-state legal, so far as I know. A 3" revolver in .357 or .44 Mag would be a viable option as well (either could be loaded with specials for more urban environments where overpenetration might be a concern). If you're going to be limited in capacity, the rounds you do have might as well be big.

The only issue would be New Jersey and their JHP ban, but I'd never willingly go back there anyway. The last time I had the opportunity I drove an hour out of the way to avoid it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My P220 Compact is 50-state legal, so far as I know. A 3" revolver in .357 or .44 Mag would be a viable option as well (either could be loaded with specials for more urban environments where overpenetration might be a concern). If you're going to be limited in capacity, the rounds you do have might as well be big.

The only issue would be New Jersey and their JHP ban, but I'd never willingly go back there anyway. The last time I had the opportunity I drove an hour out of the way to avoid it.

Not New York or Maryland. Handguns are basically a no go for the non-indigenous

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    You may not be able to carry it, but it doesn't run afoul of any capacity or "assault weapon" restrictions, and they can't legally prevent you from possessing it provided it's unloaded and properly secured if you're just passing through. Admittedly, it's not very useful in that manner, but at least you can get it to where you're going.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County

Pretty much. But both of them now offer non-resident licenses. It's a real PITA and will cost you both time and money, but it can be done. I know one person who has licenses to carry valid for 45 states & territories (including most of the east coast.) Technically 46 are possible (and the most that you can get for a non LEO.)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You may not be able to carry it, but it doesn't run afoul of any capacity or "assault weapon" restrictions, and they can't legally prevent you from possessing it provided it's unloaded and properly secured if you're just passing through. Admittedly, it's not very useful in that manner, but at least you can get it to where you're going.

You are correct. If you are just passing through. Problem is I have a sales rep in New York and have had to travel there. Luckily for me we filled a position in New England and I don’t anticipate needing to go out there anymore. Most of my travel is KY, IN, MI, OH, WI and the dreaded IL.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    You are correct. If you are just passing through. Problem is I have a sales rep in New York and have had to travel there. Luckily for me we filled a position in New England and I don’t anticipate needing to go out there anymore. Most of my travel is KY, IN, MI, OH, WI and the dreaded IL.
    Yeah, that's a bummer. There are actually a few places in NY that I'd like to visit, and I'd love to go back to Maine and maybe spend some time in Vermont because last time we drove through there it was really beautiful. I'm covered by LEOSA, but NY's attitude towards guns makes me scared that even with a badge and ID I could see the inside of a jail cell as a lot of cops aren't aware of or don't understand that law.

It's crazy to me the difference that a couple of hundred miles can make. I stop people with guns in the car all the time, and it's not a big deal. The conversation is basically "awesome, thanks for letting me know, don't show me yours and I won't show you mine!"

Yet you drive a few hours to the east and you can get dragged out of the car and charged with multiple felonies for the exact same thing. There's something wrong with that, and I don't like being in a place that treats people that way. Thankfully I have no need to go there, so we typically go west for vacation. There are fewer people (which I find much more relaxing), the mountains are bigger, and the states don't hate you for being free. Even Illinois isn't as bad as NY/MD/NJ/MA, but I gas up before we enter and don't stop till we're out the other side.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    Headed to New England and I typically travel with a .357 J Frame 3 inch or one of my single stack 9mm options. Question for the group is what do you travel with if you are on a road trip? I know my carry license does not have reciprocity in many of the New England states and NY but I am not going that far from home empty handed. Guess I will have to trunk it or bring my handgun safe along for the ride...
    I like my Sig P220 in 45acp. 8+1 and always legal, except for maybe a few states, where nothing is legal.

Top Bottom