• ...and so much more!
  • mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    Pictures at end of thread

I've been looking for a 1911 in 9mm for a while and had decided I was going to have to pony up the dollars for either a Kimber or a Springfield.

After doing some reading here and other online research I thought I'd give the Rock Island brand a try. Their "tactical" model has novak-style sights, a combat-style hammer and a speed-bump on the grip safety. I picked on up at the 1500 this weekend (during the ND event) and took it to the indoor range today.

I was running 124gr Aguilla 9mm ball ammo - since this gun is 100% for range/fun I doubt it will ever see a hollowpoint.

All I did before shooting was field strip it, reassemble it and lube the rails.

With 150 rounds total I had one failure-to-feed in the second magazine and I blame myself for that - one of the rounds just felt funny going into the mag. I forgot to bring the spare metalform magazines I picked up so I did all my shooting with the included magazine.

I'm shocked how well it shoots - I shoot it as well as anything else I own, 7 yards all the rounds touching. At 50 feet I kept all 9 rounds on an 8x11 sheet of paper - 4/5 were in the 7" circle the rest were out of the black but still on the page.

The novak sights are big enough in back to give me that target-site feel and the front post is skinny enough to give me daylight on both sides of the blade.

For my purposes - 1911 that I can hit with at the range that uses cheap 9mm ammo the gun is dead-on exactly what I hoped for. At less than half the cost of what I thought I would have to spend I couldn't be happier.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sounds like a fun gun. I've been a fan of the RIA 1911s and will have to take a closer look at the 9mm if I see one someday. Thanks for sharing.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    RIA seems to be a well kept secret. I've had one for a few years now, and it just gets better. Very accurate out of the box and has never failed to fire whatever I've feed it. I also have the tactical, but a .45. It has been just as good as my Colt Series 70.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    didn't happen without pics.

had to be said.
    I have the RIA 1911 tactical in 45. It has been great for me. I've had a few FTF's but it's a magazine issue. have to tap the mag once in a while.Overall, 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I would love a 1911, but .45 ammo is so expensive a 9mm would be far better for my pocketbook. I am surprised that there aren't more around.

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    I didn't drag out the good camera but here's enough to give everyone a hint on how this thing looks.

Here's the Box
    box.jpg

Here's the packaging
    stuff.jpg

Left Side
    left.jpg

Here's the side with the ambi safety
    ambi.jpg

Here's the Novak-style rear sight
    rear.jpg

Here's the sight picture - I like the front post being skinny
    site.jpg