• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redryder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Evansville IN
    Reloading some 45 ammo and I ran out of powder. I was wondering how far will a large pistol primer push a 200 gr. bullet down a 5 inch barrel. It is no big deal I only reloaded 50 rounds, but I would like to at least be able to salvage the brass.
    We need one more Smiles, Kicking yourself in the rear end!

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Just use a bullet pulled and pull the bullets. You can remove the decapping rod from the sizing die, resize the brass skip the priming process drop the correct powder charge and reuse the bullets.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Just use a bullet pulled and pull the bullets. You can remove the decapping rod from the sizing die, resize the brass skip the priming process drop the correct powder charge and reuse the bullets.

Exactly what I was going to say but he beat me to it. If it makes you feel better, I have been there and done that. :D

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Reloading some 45 ammo and I ran out of powder. I was wondering how far will a large pistol primer push a 200 gr. bullet down a 5 inch barrel. It is no big deal I only reloaded 50 rounds, but I would like to at least be able to salvage the brass.
    We need one more Smiles, Kicking yourself in the rear end!

The bullet will get stuck in the barrel and you will have to use a hammer and rod to get it out.
    If you happen to not notice the squib and put a full power round in behind it , your barrel will open up violently.
    Please pull the bullets as mentioned, above and reuse them.

redryder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Evansville IN
    RCBS says there collet bullet puller is for jacketed bullets only. The bullets I loaded were 200gr lswc. Will the hammer puller work with these? :ar15:

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    If you make many mistakes when reloading, I suggest a Collet style bullet puller. Makes it much quicker to do multiple pulls over a hammer style, plus there is no damage to your bullet.

RCBS Collet Style Bullet Puller

RCBS .45 Collet

I have the hornady collet puller, which is similiar. I will say that on plated bullets it will leave marks. If you do it perfectly, you'll get small dents and you can re-use it. If you have it adjusted even a little bit off you'll either not get the bullet pulled or it will pierce the plating and go into the lead. FMJs should work nicely. I would use the hammer on lead.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't see why you can't reuse everything, INCLUDING the powder (assuming some of your 50 rounds have powder)! I use a hammer puller. Any time I have to pull a round like that, one that I know has powder in it, I'll pull it, take the bullet out, and dump the powder back in your reservoir. Then do as mentioned above with taking the primer punch out and reuse it all.

redryder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Evansville IN
    Bought a RCBS Hammer Bullet Puller, it worked pretty good. The bad part about this is I pulled all 50 bullets and only found one without any powder. Live and learn!

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Bought a RCBS Hammer Bullet Puller, it worked pretty good. The bad part about this is I pulled all 50 bullets and only found one without any powder. Live and learn!

Better safe than sorry. On the bright side you get to have the fun of loading them angain. Been there done that enjoy the hobby!

Coaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Brownsburg
    FYI - I needed to pull several bullets and purchased a Forrester collet style puller. The loaded rounds had 230 gr. lead round nose bullets. THE COLLET STYLE PULLER WILL NOT WORK ON THESE BULLETS. If not adjusted down far enough it does not grip bullet. If adjusted down far enough to grip bullet it deforms case.
    Hope this saves someone else the time and money.

Top Bottom