• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    So tomorrow I am set to take a buddy of mine trap/skeet shooting at Atterbury (probably a little of both) for his birthday. I've got a 20" Smoothbore 12ga Mossberg, and he's got a 21" 20ga field barrel Remington 870.

I don't have much experience shooting clays. I've broken exactly 2 clays in my life, and only shot at 3; all shot at with my grandfather's 30" over/under. I've been looking hard for another barrel to go hunt clay pigeons with, but in this maket; who can find a good M-500 field barrel?:dunno:

So what's the consensus? Am I setting myself up for failure as a rookie taking a lightweight defense shotgun clay-shooting? Is there any general advice/words of wisdom that you seasoned-veterans can provide? Any advice for Atterbury Clay Shooting specifically? I'm no stranger to guns, and have been shooting most of my life; focused mainly on defensive handgun/rifle shoting and IDPA with a little hunting thrown in. I'm excited to give it a shot, but wonder if I'm going to have an absolutely shamful outcome showing up with the wrong equipment for the job. (Not saying I've never driven a nail with a pair of vice-grips, but a hammer sure it easier).

Thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom.
    ~LT

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Skeet is a lot of fun you will really enjoy it.
    Advice,
    1: Keep your head down, many beginners life their head.
    2: Relax
    3: Take your time and break over the middle
    4: Eye on the bird, lead and follow through.

LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    UPDATE:

I am now hopelessly addicted to shooting clays. We shot the trap field the whole time, no skeet. And I shot 4+ games of 25 with my shotgun. 1st- 4 broken, 2nd- 6 broken, 3rd- ~12 broken, 4th- ~12 broken.

It's fuuuun. And turns out my buddy only had a modified choke for his 20g 21" barrel, so he was really working hard. They also, confusingly, shut the place down at 4:45 and we still had tokens left, so we've already prepaid for next time.

Things I learned:
    1. I need a new long barrel. I had to bury my front sight entirely under my rear sights to aim down the barrel.
    2. 90%+ of the shots I missed were behind and above the clay. Once I figured that out, it was just repitition.
    3. I need more practice. A 10 year old boy with a 20 ga and his grandfather coaching him busted 20+ right behind me. I was cheering for him, it was awesome.
    4. 100+ rounds of 2 3/4" 12ga 7.5 shot in 90 minutes out of a gun that's LESS than 6lbs causes you to "feel it" the next morning.
    5. I need to really torque down the bolt on my Buttstock. I had about a 1/8" gap behind the receiver and a heck of a lot of wiggle by the time I left.
    6. Clay shooters are about the nicest people I've ever met.

I'm lookin to shoot again as soon as I can make it happen!
    Thanks for the pointers.

~LT

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    UPDATE:

I am now hopelessly addicted to shooting clays. We shot the trap field the whole time, no skeet. And I shot 4+ games of 25 with my shotgun. 1st- 4 broken, 2nd- 6 broken, 3rd- ~12 broken, 4th- ~12 broken.

It's fuuuun. And turns out my buddy only had a modified choke for his 20g 21" barrel, so he was really working hard. They also, confusingly, shut the place down at 4:45 and we still had tokens left, so we've already prepaid for next time.

Things I learned:
    1. I need a new long barrel. I had to bury my front sight entirely under my rear sights to aim down the barrel.
    2. 90%+ of the shots I missed were behind and above the clay. Once I figured that out, it was just repitition.
    3. I need more practice. A 10 year old boy with a 20 ga and his grandfather coaching him busted 20+ right behind me. I was cheering for him, it was awesome.
    4. 100+ rounds of 2 3/4" 12ga 7.5 shot in 90 minutes out of a gun that's LESS than 6lbs causes you to "feel it" the next morning.
    5. I need to really torque down the bolt on my Buttstock. I had about a 1/8" gap behind the receiver and a heck of a lot of wiggle by the time I left.
    6. Clay shooters are about the nicest people I've ever met.

I'm lookin to shoot again as soon as I can make it happen!
    Thanks for the pointers.

~LT

Not bad for a first time out at all. Keep up the practice and you will be shooting straits in no time.

Where did you shoot? I was up at St. Joe shooting skeet on Sunday and will be back up there on Sat.

hischj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Wadesville
    Trap is a wonderful sport. Be careful though, it is very addicting. The next thing you know you will be looking at $10,000 guns and ordering shells by the pallets. If you decide this is something you want to get into, look for used guns at clubs. Yes one can break 25 with an 870, but to shoot 500 birds in a day is going to hurt. Get a gun that fits you and is made for the volume and you won't realize how much you shot. That part is good and bad I guess. HAHA. Good luck to you.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sounds like you had a blast! I am in the same boat. I am going to try some Skeet this Summer at Wildcat.

I hope I like it as much and I the people are as nice as you say! Especially since I will be a noob.:)

LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    Went to Atterbury. And I DEFINITELY need an equipment upgrade when the funds open up. At the very least I need a 28"+ barrel that's not going to paint my shoulder colors for days.

I will definitely keep an eye open for used guns at the clubs and maybe ask of anyone is overstocked on "layabout" guns. Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to get back there. It's been 2 days and I'm itchy.

I honestly never understood shotguns or shotgun guys. Just couldn't grasp the concept of a $3k double barrel or the defense/utility potential of 2 barrels, but at last I can honestly say... "I get it."

~LT

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Went to Atterbury. And I DEFINITELY need an equipment upgrade when the funds open up. At the very least I need a 28"+ barrel that's not going to paint my shoulder colors for days.

I will definitely keep an eye open for used guns at the clubs and maybe ask of anyone is overstocked on "layabout" guns. Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to get back there. It's been 2 days and I'm itchy.

I honestly never understood shotguns or shotgun guys. Just couldn't grasp the concept of a $3k double barrel or the defense/utility potential of 2 barrels, but at last I can honestly say... "I get it."

~LT

Find a used Citori, you can find that at a decent price and you will be very happy with it. Thats what everyone around my circle of shooters shoots skeet with.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Handled a Citori at the gun show this weekend. Very nice. I will have to make do with my CZ though...at least until I become competitive and see that the "tool" is holding me back.:)

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    the next time you come out here to shoot, bring your shotgun. i've got 3 nice throwers you didnt see last time, and we shoot several thousand clays in the warmer months. just looked, have about 1500 birds in stock. we shot competition sporting clays in the 1990's-2000's to the tune of about 50k rounds (and yes i reload all 12 ga). and have the shotguns you didnt think were needed, you can shoot them here......daryll

LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville

the next time you come out here to shoot, bringyour shotgun. i've got 3 nice throwers you didnt see last time, and we shootseveral thousand clays in the warmer months. just looked, have about 1500 birdsin stock. we shot competition sporting clays in the 1990's-2000's to the tuneof about 50k rounds (and yes i reload all 12 ga). and have the shotguns youdidnt think were needed, you can shoot them here......daryll

Daryll, that sounds like more fun than I can process. I'd be lying if I said that I wasgood at it; but I LOVE shooting clays. Like Michael Jordan and baseball.

Just bought a shell-carrier, shoulder pad, shooting vest, and am looking hard for a clay-shooting barrel with chokes...
    pray for me.

~LT

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Daryll, that sounds like more fun than I can process. I'd be lying if I said that I wasgood at it; but I LOVE shooting clays. Like Michael Jordan and baseball.

Just bought a shell-carrier, shoulder pad, shooting vest, and am looking hard for a clay-shooting barrel with chokes...
    pray for me.

~LT

LT, what kind of shell carrier, shoulder pad and vest did you get?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Good gun to start a family out with? Wife 20ga or 12ga?

Depends on the gun. My 20Ga O/U kicks harder than my auto loader 12 ga due to weight differences and the gas recoil system which absorbs some recoil.

I know very little about shotguns other than my years duck hunting, but if I was going to get a shotgun for my wife, it would be one that she felt like she could handle the size, fit and weight and then get it in 20ga. Whether that would be an auto loader, pump or double barrel, I would refer to my first (3) criteria.

jordanh34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    I have decided on a 20ga the only problem i am encountering is O/U or auto loader. Thanks for the help

Top Bottom