• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If anyone's familiar with the Rossi single-shot rifles, I'd appreciate the imput.

As an eventual purchase...WAY in the future, I'm leaning towards an "interchangeable" system like the Rossi single-shot rifles.

My question is this:

Can ANY of the Rossi center-fire barrels (from .223 - 12ga) be fitted to the same receiver?

Or is it only certain calibers; perhaps based on the case/rim diameter?

Looking for something eminently customizable & interchangeable.

Any other single-shot rifle system that does the above or am I just wishing?

Thanks,

-J-

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I have owned three Rossi single shots in the past. I still have one chambered in .223 Remington, but got rid of the other two. One was in 7.62x39 and the other was a .223 Remington. I did not need two in the same caliber, but bought it used on an impulse buy and later found out why. The two I got rid of were not very accurate. I kept the one that was. I will stick to buying either the H&R's or the T/C's. Maybe Rossi has gotten better on quality control, now that they are owned by Taurus, but their older stuff was spotty at best. JMHO.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I guess I didn't realize that the H&R could interchange?

Somewhere in the foggy recesses of my brain, I kind of sort of remember that about the T/C stuff. Guess I'd forgotten. Probably no chance of keeping the cost down with that stuff, eh?

-J-

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yep, the New England Firearms NEF stuff has interchangable barrels. Check out their website. You will need to start off with the rifle since you can't put the rifle barrels on a shotgun action. The Thomson Center stuff is truely top notch. Gonna cost you quite a bit more coin then the NEF/H&R rifles.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Yep, the New England Firearms NEF stuff has interchangable barrels. Check out their website. You will need to start off with the rifle since you can't put the rifle barrels on a shotgun action. The Thomson Center stuff is truely top notch. Gonna cost you quite a bit more coin then the NEF/H&R rifles.
    This is true, but generally I find you get what you pay for. I consider the NEF stuff a step above Rossi, but a step below T/C. I have a H&R in .223 Remington that will put 52-69 grain bullets into 3/4 MOA all day long. I don't know how the modern Rossi gun is doing now as far as accuracy and quality, but I can imagine that they are doing good with Taurus as a parent company. I think Rossi is trying to work hard at casting off that old trait of spotty quality.:)

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Hands down the best interchangeable single shot platform is the T/C Encore line. You have the flexability to go from a rimfire to ??? with the switch of a barrel. There are outfits like Virgin Valley Guns that do custom barrels and stocks for the Encores. You could quite literally buy one action and hunt every type of game on the planet by simply switching barrels to a different caliber to fit the bill. Makes me want an Encore now....Thanks.:D

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I think with the new Rossi wizard, they have removed the interchangability problems, you can buy a wizard rifle, and for less than $200 get another barrel that will fit right on, no shipping to the company, and they have about 10-20? different calibres! I think the price for the bbls is closer to $150, but less than $200

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    As somone who has stepped in-out-and-all-around the Rossi /H&R / and Encore lines - if you have any inclination to build a multi caliber system - just suck it up and buy the Encore. H&R never seems to have accessory barrels in stock, and while my Rossi in .44 mag is accurate and handy, I'd never invest money in additional barrels for it. Trigger is too sloppy and lockup is inconsistent.

T/C has been in this game for a while and they know what they're doing. Lots of 3rd parties making high quality compatible barrels, too.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks for the input, everyone.

Think that I might need to keep an eye out for a second-hand Encore then...

Shhhhhhh. Please don't tell my wife.

Top Bottom