• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    I was hoping to save a buck or two and use some old soft point round nose projectiles. The next closet thing i can find are sierra match kings and they are .24-.30 compared to free. First two cycled and 3 and 5 didnt before i gave up. I know sp's dont usually work in ar's but was hoping with the larger diameter it would in blackout. Stinks because it averaged 1050 fps with 10.7 grs of 4198 and still cycled. Maybe when the ramps get more worn in ill give it another try.
    2011-09-17_20-29-42_102.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Get your OAL a bit long? I know you can get pointy ones that long, but I'd think you'd want to set the round ones back a little farther, as if they continued to a point. With the round nose, especially a soft point, it may just be too long to engage the feed ramp properly.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    Reloaded to 2.07, was on the shorter side of what the specs are. Maximum is 2.26. Cant find a minimum anywhere. Just seems like it hits the peaks on the two sides of a ramp before it even gets touches the ramp. I still have a feeling that once its got several hundred rounds through it, it might work. Until then im stuck with smk's for the sub sonic loads.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    How is a soft copper projectile going to "wear down" the ramps.....ever?

I dunno, maybe my brain is turned off, but I dont think those hardened steel feedramps are going to magically allow the bullet thru if they dont now.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    You can load a 175gr bullet for subsonic use. CMMG is using air pulled M118 bullets for their subsonic load.

Top Bottom