• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm sure this has been noted before, but I could not find any info using the search field. Has anyone ever any issue removing the barrel from a brand new, never fired Ruger 10/22? I purchased a plain old wood stock, blued barrel 10/22 yesterday and had the toughest time replacing the barrel. After about 30 minutes of slamming the bolt into it (hoping this did not cause any unforeseen damage) along with about an hour of other methods in between I finally got it loose enough to pry off with a flat head screwdriver. I was just wondering if this was an isolated case or if others were experiencing the same problem. Even after I had the barrel out and wanted to replace it with the threaded barrel I had to use a rubber mallet to seat it properly.

thanks in advance

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Some are tight, some aren't so

I've messed with a bunch of 10/22s. First thing to remember is it's a mass produced rifle and tolerances can be intolerant, so to speak. I've had some that were so tight I heated the reciever in the oven and put the barrel in the freezer to get them together. That requires quick action if you try it. You have very limited working time. I have clamped a barrel in padded vice jaws and used a mallet on the front of the reciever to get them apart, but I've never used the bolt as a hammer or pried on the shoulder. If it's not a magnum, that reciever is aluminum, use caution. I've polished the barrel shank a time or two, also. All the advice I've seen on rimfire central says don't try to relieve the opening in the reciever.

DRob

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ive read that the newer 10/22s have the barrels "glued" in with something similar to loctite. A little heat might help your cause.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    when i had one, it was a pain in the arse to get the original barrel out and even a bigger pain to get the replacement reinstalled. I don't think that one is ever coming out.

Heat and penetrating oil and a tight padded vise.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I removed one years ago from a brand new, unfired gun and it was a bastard. You may also try taking out the bolt and using a punch to drive the barrel out from inside the action. I havent heard of them using any form or glue or loctite, but that doesnt mean that they dont, just means I didnt know about it. Heat may help, but if it is aluminum, be careful.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    The newer ones are worse because the paint is baked on pretty thick on the receiver. I use a wood dowel and a mallet or hammer. It takes about a minute.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The newer ones are worse because the paint is baked on pretty thick on the receiver. I use a wood dowel and a mallet or hammer. It takes about a minute.
    That makes sense, you can see the paint baked on them is pretty thick. I did get the threaded barrel in and took it out to the range yesterday and it shot great so apparently nothing was damaged in the process. I was able to zero in a 2x TruGlo red dot at about 50 feet without any problems or malfunctions. Thanks for the replies. @Brown Dog, I saw that "jig" you were referring to on rimfirecentral and that does look handy. If I ever have to separate this barrel from the receiver I will use something like this. Thanks again!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I had a hell of a time removing the barrel on my charger recently, when I sent it off to be threaded. I've never had an issue with the old blued and stainless rifles, so maybe it has to do with the new coating like some have previously stated.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    It might have somthing to do with how much it's been shot! I have a new stainless model I bought in June that came right apart Friday. It's had around two thousand rounds threw it already.
    Or, I guess I got lucky!:dunno:

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It might have somthing to do with how much it's been shot! I have a new stainless model I bought in June that came right apart Friday. It's had around two thousand rounds threw it already.
    Or, I guess I got lucky!:dunno:

Yeah I don't think people have the same issue with the stainless receivers.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    For the record........

Yeah I don't think people have the same issue with the stainless receivers.

In reference to a common misconception............Ruger doesn't and hasn't made a stainless 10/22 receiver. They have made 10/22s with stainless barrels but the .22lr receivers are aluminum. Some are coated/painted silver but the only steel 10/22 receivers were the magnums.

Just sayin'! :)

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    In reference to a common misconception............Ruger doesn't and hasn't made a stainless 10/22 receiver. They have made 10/22s with stainless barrels but the .22lr receivers are aluminum. Some are coated/painted silver but the only steel 10/22 receivers were the magnums.

Just sayin'! :)

I meant "Stainless Package" consisting of the stainless barrel and silver aluminum receiver (non painted)

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    I have a base 10/22 carbine that I purchased in a couple of months ago and I had a terrible time breaking down the barrel. As mentioned earlier the guide from RFC helped get it off.

So chalk me up for a stuck barrel on a later example.

Top Bottom