• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 96ramair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Delphi
    looking for opinions on which gun makes the better pocket pistol. They seem to be very comparable in price just looking for opinions to see you too thanks which one is better and why

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I prefer the Smith. It just feels more solid/sturdy to me when I hold it vs the Ruger (and I've fired both).

Just my opinion of course. YMMV.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I also prefer the Smith. Admittedly I don't really use the laser for anything, but it is nicely integrated as opposed to really being an afterthought on the LCP.

The sights on the Smith are much better than the sights on the Ruger. Trigger pull on the Smith is very, very long - but predictable. Safety on the Smith is a bit superfluous considering how long and heavy the pull is, but many people like having external safeties on pistils and the Ruger doesn't have one.

The ergos on the Smith aren't great, but it does feel better to me than the LCP. I cannot recall if the LCP locks back on the last shot, but the Smith absolutely does.

There is a Mag-Guts kit for the Smith that gives you an extra round in the factory magazines - that gives you 7 +1 instead of 6+1 (although there may be such kits for the LCP as well).

Having said all this, there is nothing wrong with the LCP, but I believe the Smith is the nicer pistol.

The cautions I give you about the Smith is that very early versions (EAAxxxx serial numbers) need to be sent back to Smith to get some upgraded parts, and the latest version apparently has a MIM barrel instead of the machined barrel that has been on the two examples I've picked up. I don't know if the MIM barrel is problematic - there haven't been any problems reported with it on any forums I've read - but I would still recommend you pick up a version in the EBB to EBZ range, as the 2 I have from that period have been splendid carry BUGs.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Family member has the Bodyguard. Laser on it is worthless, too hard to activate in a SD situation. Ergonomics not great.
    I have two LCP's with CT lasers. The lasers activate with proper shooting grip, without any thought.
    Laser max will have the same drawback as the smith.
    I'd take the LCP w/CT any day of the week over the smith.

Neither is a fun range gun. Not the purpose of the guns. Either gun will take practice to get used to the long trigger. Dry fire is your friend.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I've had two different BG's and three LCP's - the latest being the newer design LCP with MUCH better sights and trigger. YMMV, but I found the BG trigger to be worse in comparison to any of the LCP's - but ESPECIALLY in comparison to the new design LCP. The BG laser on one gun would only work for a round or two of firing at best. The second BG laser worked fine, but I found it to be basically useless due to the position of the button.

I agree with looney - CT laser is the ONLY way to go if you're going for a laser-equipped pocket auto - one handed operation as compared to two (at least in my case with my fingers being as short as they are), seeing as how you may not HAVE two hands free to use it at the time...

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    How do u know if it is the newer model lcp vs the old one?

Easiest method I've seen online is to look at the serial #. New design serial #'s don't have any hyphens - ie. NOT "371-xxxx" but instead "397xxxx". Otherwise you'd really need to have an old and new side by side to really see the differences, unless you're REALLY an LCP nerd...

Which I may be accused of being....:n00b:

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Old design on left, new on right:

Easiest method I've seen online is to look at the serial #. New design serial #'s don't have any hyphens - ie. NOT "371-xxxx" but instead "397xxxx". Otherwise you'd really need to have an old and new side by side to really see the differences, unless you're REALLY an LCP nerd...

Which I may be accused of being....:n00b:

Top Bottom